When some people look over a classroom, they just see kids. When teachers look across a classroom, they see the future. Through the generosity of the Raise Your Hand Texas Foundation
and philanthropist Charles Butt, SMU is able to award scholarships to aspiring teachers who want to shape the future through the success of their students—students who are able to contribute to community growth, economic prosperity, and an educated citizenry.
The Charles Butt Scholarship
• A scholarship of up to $8,000 annually for up to four years.
• Opportunities to develop and practice pedagogical skills in authentic classroom settings and to observe masterful teaching.
• Mentorship from a local educator or principal.
• Participation in an online community and local and statewide meetings of Charles Butt Scholars.
• Financial support to attend the Raise Your Hand Texas Leadership Symposium.
• Ongoing training and professional development opportunities.
• Professional support in preparation for graduation.
Scholarship Selection Criteria
• Enrolled as an SMU undergraduate (sophomore-senior) whose primary major is math, science, engineering, foreign languages, Spanish, or human rights.
• Be a Texas resident.
• Provide evidence of a strong academic record and history of achievement.
• Demonstrate peer or group leadership skills
• Be committed to a career in professional education in high-need Texas public schools.
• Remain a full-time student enrolled in a program that leads to teaching certification.
• Maintain a minimum 3.0 grade point average.
• Participate in Raise Your Hand professional-development activities.
• Receive a letter of recommendation for continuation from your teacher preparation program director each year.
• Plan to teach in a high-need classroom in a Texas public school upon completion of the program.
Complete SMU’s Charles Butt Scholarship application. Qualified applicants will be invited to interview with SMU faculty members. Thereafter they may be invited to interview with Raise Your Hand Texas Foundation members.
• Application Deadline for Fall 2018 Cohort:
December 1, 2017
• Students learn if they have been selected for an SMU interview.
March 1, 2018
• Regional selection interviews conducted with scholarship finalists.
• Scholarship recipients are notified.
April 30, 2018
To Learn More about this Opportunity
Contact our Department of Teaching and Learning