Extended Admission Application Deadline
Summer 2013: May 1, 2013
Fall 2013: June 1, 2013
Non-Degree Certification Program Admission Requirements
The non-degree certification programs for teachers are designed to satisfy the State Board for Educator Certification requirements for teachers who promote scholarship in particular educational areas or serve discrete audiences such as gifted children or children for whom English is not the native language. These teachers have gone beyond the standard certification; they perform at a higher level with respect to particular disciplines and with particular populations.
Completing all of a certification modules courses normally provides adequate preparation for specialty certification. All SBEC certifications require that a candidate pass a state test. These advanced credentials are attached to the standard teaching certificate, so as a prerequisite to earning a graduate certification, a candidate must hold a Bachelor's degree and the foundation teaching certificate.
Six of the credit hours earned in these non-degree certification programs can be transferred into SMU's Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree (if the student is accepted into the M.Ed. program).
General Admission Requirements for All Non-Degree Certification Programs:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in the United States or proof of equivalent training at a foreign university.
- Texas Teaching Certificate.
- At least 3 years of teaching experience is required to complete state testing and receive certifications for the MMT, MRT, MST, and MTT.
- Enclose a $75 application fee (check or money order) with the application. This fee is non-refundable. Note: If you have previously paid an application fee to a graduate program in the Annette Caldwell Simmons School of Education and Human Development, the $75 fee is waived.
- Official transcripts showing degree conferral, certified and translated if from a foreign institution.
- A preferred minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale). Note: Applicants whose GPA falls below 3.0 may request an exemption to this requirement by attaching a letter explaining why an exception should be made (such as long-term experience, expertise in a related specialized field, or the required Graduate Record Examination score).
- Submit a Statement of Purpose. The Statement of Purpose demonstrates the applicants competence in writing the English language and ability to think critically. The Statement of Purpose should be a 2-3 page (500-750 words) written statement of how an applicant's career goals would be enhanced by realizing the goals of the program. The goals of all programs in the Department of Teaching and Learning are stated in our Conceptual Framework, which can be found on the last page of the application or click here to view the Conceptual Framework on our website.
- Distribute three recommendation forms and ask that they be sent directly to the Department of Teaching and Learning. Select respondents who can attest to your academic ability, your teaching abilities, and your personal qualities. If you are currently teaching, one recommendation must be from your principal or other supervisor.
Additional Requirements for International Students:
- International students applying from countries where English is not the native language are required to provide scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Request the official TOEFL scores to be sent to SMU's school code 7464. The minimum score for admission is 550 on a pencil and paper test or 83 on the internet-based test. For more information about admission of foreign students, please click here.
- As evidence of financial support, foreign students must provide a Certification of Finance Form/Letter of Financial Backing. This should represent that sufficient money will be available to the applicant to cover all expenses while at the University. This letter may be signed by a parent or sponsor but must be certified by a bank. The document must be notarized and on file before the process for visas and passport can proceed.