Southern Methodist University's Master of Liberal Studies program (MLS) is a graduate program available to students on a part-time or full-time basis. Courses are held in the evening beginning at 6:30 p.m. with some courses available on Saturday mornings. The Master of Liberal Studies program accepts and reviews applications throughout the year on a rolling basis for Summer, Fall and Spring semesters. All applications must be received by May 1st for Summer admission, December 1 for Spring admission and July 1 for Fall admission. If you have missed one of our deadlines but are still interested in applying, call our office at: 214-768-1016 for information about a possible extension.
Criteria for Admission
SMU strives to enroll motivated and enthusiastic students prepared and interested in rigorous graduate education. All applicants must have a bachelor's degree (or equivalent) from an accredited college or university.
How to Apply for Degree-Seeking MLS Program
To apply for admission to the Master of Liberal Studies program please submit the following for consideration:
- Application (click to download form)
- Official "sealed" transcripts from all the colleges and universities you attended.
- Two letters of recommendation:
- Academic (if possible)
- Professional (supervisor or administrator) - two professional recommendations may be submitted if an academic reference is unavailable.
- A personal interview is encouraged but not required.
- Two Essays:
(1) Using a book of your choice, write an essay (about 3-5 pages type written, double-spaced) in which you could describe the author's central argument, proposal, or theme. Please be sure to describe how this is developed in the book as well as any conclusions you may have reached.
(2) Write a short essay (about 3 pages type written, and double-spaced) in which you describe what you have been doing since you were last a full-time student. Please be sure to describe two personal or professional achievements in your life and explain why you wish to pursue a degree in liberal studies.
- A resume is recommended.
- Fee: $75 (checks or money orders may be made payable to Southern Methodist University). Credit card payments cannot be accepted.
- The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is not required, but applicants are welcome to submit their scores if they feel the scores would add to the strength of their application.
How to Apply for Non-Degree MLS Program
The SMU MLS program offers to help students explore graduate interdisciplinary study with a non-degree option. This could be a great way to discern whether the MLS program is the right graduate program for you!
The application for non-degree study is intended to be easy to complete. Admissions standards for non-degree study are the same as admission to the degree program. Non-degree students may take up to 6 credits of coursework with good achievement apply these credits to a future degree program.
If you are interested in taking a course or two in the MLS program as a non-degree student, please download the following form: Non-Degree Application
Submitting Your Application: Individual application materials may arrive under separate cover. Please submit the completed application and mail it via postal mail to the following address:
Southern Methodist University
Master of Liberal Studies
P.O. Box 750253
Dallas, TX 75275-0253
You may also submit your application by scanning it and emailing it to email@example.com.
Summer 2013: $516 per credit hour or $1548 per class per 3 credit course
Fall 2013: $541 per credit hour or $1623 for a 3 credit course
There are no additional student fees associated with this program aside from a parking permit and books which the student is responsible for purchasing.