It is the mission of this office to partner with researchers at SMU to provide effectual and prompt service to ensure that current and future research endeavors are compliant with government regulations and university policies.
The Director of Research Compliance provides oversight for the research compliance committees for each regulated aspect of faculty, staff and student research: human subjects; animal subjects; recombinant DNA (rDNA) and potentially hazardous biological materials or toxins; financial conflicts of interest in research and responsible conduct of research.
Questions concerning Research Compliance should be addressed to the Director of Research Compliance (DRC), Shannon Lunt (8-2029).
SMU Compliance Committees
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
- SMU’s IACUC provides oversight to ensure the proper use, care and treatment of animals involved in research, testing and education.
- Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)
- SMU’s IBC provides oversight for reviewing and approving recombinant DNA research and biohazard research projects (human and animal research subjects).
- Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- SMU’s IRB provides oversight for research involving human subjects to assure the protection of human rights and welfare.