It is the mission of this office to partner with researchers at SMU to provide effectual and prompt service to ensure that current and future research endeavors are compliant with government regulations and university policies.
As Director of Research Compliance, Shannon Lunt provides oversight for all research conducted at Southern Methodist University (SMU). This includes human and animal research, as well as biosafety and export control compliance. Prior to coming to SMU, Shannon was a Research Manager at Baylor Institute for Immunological Research where she managed a core facility responsible for the biorepository, which collected, accessioned, and maintained federal compliance for over 95 human and animal studies. Before becoming the Division Coordinator of the animal facility at Texas A&M University, Shannon spent 15 years conducting fundamental research at the University of Michigan Medical School and for her own graduate thesis. Starting as a technician in an animal science laboratory, Shannon understands the complexities associated with all sides of a research project, and has used this understanding to help SMU establish a foundation for increasing their research involvement.
Questions concerning Research Compliance should be addressed to the Director of Research Compliance (DRC), Shannon Lunt (8-2029). Schedule an Appointment
SMU Compliance Committees
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
- SMU’s IACUC provides oversight to ensure the proper use, care and treatment of animals involved in research, testing and education.
- Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)
- SMU’s IBC provides oversight for reviewing and approving recombinant DNA research and biohazard research projects (human and animal research subjects).
- Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- SMU’s IRB provides oversight for research involving human subjects to assure the protection of human rights and welfare.