September 22, 2017
Pitch Your Big iDea and Win $1000 to Make it Happen
The contest is open to undergraduates. The first 25 applicants, first-come, first-serve whose idea bring value to society, get in (requirements). Applicant 26 and higher are placed on a waiting list in the order of submission.
Winners must be undergraduates for the duration of the Big iDeas Pitch phase, from contest to Demo Fair Day on Friday Feb 9, 2018.
10 EASY STEPS TO APPLY, PITCH and WIN!
- Review the following contest documents. They will help you understand the contest expectations.
FUNDING REQUEST FORM
PITCH CONTEST JUDGES' SCORECARD
TERMS OF AGREEMENT
WINNERS CONFIRMATION FORM
- Download the Big iDeas Pitch Contest Template. Read carefully and think through your response. When you are ready, print your name and the name of your idea at the top of the form. Write up your Big iDea by responding in a sentence or two to each prompt.
- APPLY online by Wednesday, Sep 20, 2017 no later than 11:59 pm. Complete the online information form. Upload your Big iDeas Pitch Template. Click the SUBMIT button.
If you have trouble with the online system, email email@example.com and describe your problem.
- Monitor your "@smu.edu" email on Thursday, September 21 to know if you got in and are cleared to pitch on Friday, September 22.
PITCH CONTESTANTS AND WAITLISTERS
- Practice your pitch! You have 90-seconds to convince th judges that your idea is BIG. Check out this document, WORDS OF ADVICE ON PITCHING AN IDEA for good information on the art of pitching.
- Arrive at the Hughes Trigg Student Center Forum between 1:30 and 1:45 pm to register and get in line. No-shows will be replaced by contestants from the waiting list and be able to pitch.
- Wait outside in the lobby until your name is called by the judges. PITCH at your designated time. Your 90-second pitch will be followed by a 90-second Q and A with the judges.
- Remain in the Forum as an audience member after your pitch. There will be a break during the judge's deliberation. Be sure to be back in the audience by 4:30 for the announcements by the judges. All pitches deemed BIG by the judges, WIN!
2017 PITCH CONTESTANT WINNERS
- Set up an appointment to meet with the Big iDeas coordinator (to be held in the Engaged Learning Office, Clements Hall G-13). Confirm your participation. Get access to your $1000 seed money.
- Design and build a prototype of your idea in the next four months. You will show the SMU community your idea at the Big iDeas Demo Day Fair on February 9, 2018.
February 9, 2018
Big iDeas Business Plan Competition
9 AM - Business Plan Competition @ the CUBE
11:30 AM - Big iDeas Demo Day @ Expressway Tower Lobby
1:30 PM - Winner Announced @ Expressway Tower Lobby
WIN $5000 to start your dream business and launch before you graduate.
Application Deadline: February 4 @ Midnight (11:59 pm)
How to Apply:
1. Build your business plan using the Big iDeas Business Plan Template
2. Download & complete application forms below:
INSTRUCTIONS & TERMS OF AGREEMENT
FUNDING REQUEST FORM
3. Submit your Business Plan & application forms HERE by February 4 @ Midnight. NO EXCEPTIONS
4. Get selected as a finalist and craft the perfect pitch. Download our Advice to Pitch like a Pro for extra help preparing your presentation.
What it Means to Win:
You'll have one academic year & $5,000 to build your startup with the help & support of SMU's Big iDeas Program. You'll have 24/7 access to the CUBE, a co-working space exclusively for Big iDeas students to office out of. (Suite 600, Expressway Tower Lobby). At the end of the year, you can re-apply to pitch for another $5,000.
Questions? Drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org