Online application must be completed and all supporting materials (essay, letters of reference and application fee) must be received prior to the deadline for the session for which you are applying.
All candidates are required to complete a typewritten essay of no less than 1500 words answering the following questions:
1. What do you understand "spiritual direction" to be?
2. Why do you believe that you are called to a ministry of spiritual direction?
3. What do you believe are your gifts for that ministry?
Your essay should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the deadline for the session for which you are registering.
• Essays for the April 28-30, 2017, session in Dallas must be received no later than April 1, 2017.
• Essays for the August 25-27, 2017 session in Dallas must be received no later than August 1, 2017.
Essays and Letter of Endorsement for the October 20-22, 2017 session in Alabama must be received no later than October 1, 2017.
All applications should also include three letters of reference, with one coming from your pastor or priest and one coming from your spiritual director (applicants are required to meet monthly with a spiritual director at least six months prior to beginning spiritual direction training at Perkins).
Letters from your referees should be sent directly to The Office of Spiritual Direction at the address listed below, and should clearly address the following questions:
1. How long have you known the candidate?
2. Do you believe the candidate is well suited and called to a ministry of spiritual direction?
3. What, specifically, do you believe are the candidate's gifts for that ministry?
Letters of reference must be received prior to the deadline for the session for which you are registering. By submitting the online application form (below) you relinquish all rights to review the contents of the letters written by your referees.
The nonrefundable program application fee of $100 should be made payable to Perkins School of Theology. Your application fee must be received prior to the deadline for the session for which you are applying.
Send application fee and supporting documents to:
The Office of Spiritual Direction
Southern Methodist University
Perkins School of Theology
PO Box 750133
Dallas, TX 75275-0133
You may call Cherice Graham at 214-768-3664 to pay the application fee by credit card.