Faculty and Staff Connections
Faculty and Staff offices are equipped with wired Ethernet connections. In most locations, network IP addresses are assigned automatically. Once the device is connected, you may be prompted to register the device on the network.
All requests for network services should be placed via the Online Support Center. These include the following:
- IP assignment Request
- Network jack installation
- Network jack activation
For information on SMU Wireless, click here
The VPN connection is used most when working off campus. This connection will allow you to securely access specific resources that are restricted to the SMU Network. This includes library resources, network storage drives, many applications and all intranet websites.
- You must have an existing internet connection before connecting to SMU VPN
- You can use either the VPN portal (browser only) or download the full VPN client
- Connecting to the SMU VPN allows access from an external ISP to on campus internet and intranet resources (library resources, policies, internal sites etc)
- VPN connections can be established via securenet.smu.edu
Please note: if you are using the AnyConnect VPN client, you do not need to connect to the Web portal as well. Only establish one connection for best results!
Windows 8.1 error
There is currently an issue with Windows 8.1 and the Cisco client. If you are unable to use the anyconnect client on Windows 8.1, please do the following:
- Completely shut down the Cisco application (this includes right clicking on the cisco icon in the system tray and selecting Exit)
- Locate the Cisco folder in the Program Files (x86) directory
- Double click the cisco folder-- then double click the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client folder.
- Right click on the vpnui.exe file
- Select Compatibility Troubleshooter
- choose Try Recommended Settings
- Click Test Program
- Click Close
Selecting the Appropriate Client
The web portal, located through any web browser, is ideal for quick or occasional use. The web portal can be accessed by logging into securenet.smu.edu with any web browser. Once you have logged in, simply navigate to the desired website or network storage location within the web browser. Only the traffic within the browser window is routed through the vpn connection.
For more frequent use or to use applications that require an SMU network connection, download the Any Connect client. Once this client is connected, all network traffic from your computer is routed through the SMU network.
About Remote Desktop
Remote Desktop connections allow you to connect to your office computer from another computer. Once the connection is established, you have access to all of the applications and files on your computer in addition to your local computer resources (printing, clipboard etc). Before Remote Desktop will work, your Office computer must be configured to allow remote connections. By default, this option is not enabled.
You will also be required to download the VPN Any Connect client on your home computer and establish a secure connection before connecting to your office machine.
- Configure your Office computer to allow remote desktop connections
- Locate your office computer hostname/IP address (click here from your office computer)
- Leave your office computer On but Locked!
- Download the Any Connect VPN client on your home computer
- Establish the VPN client on your home computer
- Configure the remote connection on your home computer
- Establish the connection and authenticate.