Lyris Mailing Lists
Mailing lists that include non SMU individuals or require a fair amount of maintenance or configuration changes should be setup on the Lyris (list.smu.edu) server.
About the Mailing List Software
The Mailing List Software provides a wealth of functionality for managing and configuring various mailing list types. OIT configures the initial list upon request. All other administration of the lists is then the responsibility of the designated list administrators. To request a mailing list, please complete the appropriate form located on the Online Support Site.
- Mailing lists may be requested by any faculty or staff
- Student organizations may obtain a mailing list with faculty or staff advisor's approval
- List members can be both SMU and non SMU addresses
- SMU Email addresses in list.smu.edu should be subscribed using the @mail.smu.edu format
Mailing list types
There are three main types of mailing lists: announcement lists, moderated discussion lists and unmoderated discussion lists.
Announcement lists are designed to only allow specific members of the list to send email to the list address. If a member is not designated as an administrator, their message would automatically be rejected by the server. These lists are designed for highly controlled communication.
Moderated discussion lists
Moderated discussion lists allow any list member (or potentially non list members as well) to submit an email to the list. However, that email will not be distributed to the entire list until it has been approved by a list administrator. Although this gives a list administrator the ability to filter appropriate content for the list, it does require a good bit of time and oversight.
Unmoderated discussion lists
Unmoderated discussion lists are designed for uncontrolled, unfiltered email correspondence with all members of the list. The list can be configured to accept mail from only members or from anyone in the world. These messages do not require approval but are simply routed directly to the members of the list.
Other Configuration Settings
In addition to the main list types, there are a number of different settings within each list that can be configured. These include (but are not limited to):
- Member subscriptions: can be configured to require approval before someone can join a list
- Message Size: can be configured to limit the size of messages sent to the list
- Reply To address: can be configured to automatically route replies to the list, sender or another specified address
- Parent / Child lists: Lists can be configured to include other lists as members. This is ideal for a large master list with various sublists containing a subset of the audience.
Exchange Distribution Lists
Exchange Distribution lists may be created when membership is fairly constant and open to SMU addresses only. These lists are typically only created for departmental correspondence and managed by OIT. The addresses appear in the Global Address List. Request for exchange distribution lists may be made via the Online Support Center.