About the Account
The SMU account provided grants access to the various technology resources. The username is typically your eight digit SMU ID number. In some cases, you will need to enter smu\ in front of your ID (ex:smu\0000111). Office 365 is the only service that uses your email address as your username, rather than your eight digit SMU ID. Your account information including your password should never be shared with anyone!
Student accounts are created through an automated process triggered by my.SMU. Accounts are provided once a student is accepted into SMU. If the student does not enroll, the account is deleted following the census date. Students maintain their accounts through their SMU academic career. Graduated students will retain their SMU Email account (starting July 2013).
The account is established with access to the following:
- SMUID and Password to access the various resources
- SMU Email address
- Personal Box space
- Membership on the student bulk list
- my.SMU account
Once created, a letter will be sent containing the SMU ID number. Students may then go to https://smu.edu/activate and create their initial password.
Student Worker Accounts
Students employed in the various departments and schools may also receive a separate student worker account. This account is required for any students who need access to departmental network space, Administrative access to mySMU, or permissions for AdminImages. These accounts begin with a W and must be requested by the student's supervisor. These accounts have a separate password and expire every 6 months. To request a student worker account, the supervisor must complete the webform located at help.smu.edu.
Former Student Accounts
Beginning in May 2014, student accounts will no longer be terminated under normal conditions. If a student has taken a course at SMU, the following accounts and services will remain active:
- Active Directory account (authentication account)
- SMU Email
- my.SMU with a limited set of permissions.
Access to other services will be discontinued after a specified period of time based on student type.
- Graduated student: 365 days
- Discontinued student: 180 days
- Ex OPT student: 60 days
- Administrative Withdrawal: 365 days
Requesting an Account
For faculty and staff, an SMU account is created automatically when an employee's job data is active in my.SMU. All Account passwords are set online at smu.edu/activate.
During the initial account creation process, each employee is granted the following:
- SMU password for logging on to the various resources
- SMU Email address
- Membership on either the faculty or staff bulk lists
- U drive network storage space
- Personal Locker storage
- Employee self service account for my.SMU (ability to see paycheck and benefits)
- Faculty self service accounts (for faculty only-- to view class rosters and grades)
Additional access can be requested through the Online Support Center after the account has been created:
- Administrative access to my.SMU, SMU Financials or SMU Budgets
- Access to AdminImages
- Network drive (V, T, Q etc)
- Website editing permissions
A full time benefit eligible employee may request a sponsored account for a vendor, contractor or guest via Online Support Center. Once the account has been created, the sponsor will be notified via email and a PIN will be provided for the new account. This PIN can then used by the sponsored account holder to activate the account at smu.edu/activate.
A sponsored account can also be requested for a new employee in the case where all of the job information has not been entered in my.SMU to generate the employee account automatically. This type of account can be requested by a full time, benefit eligble employee via the Online Support Center and the new employee account will be set up for the interim time until all of the employee information has been updated in my.SMU. The sponsor will receive an email with a PIN for the account and will need to provide that to the sponsored account holder to activate the account at smu.edu/activate. An SMU ID# is required to generate a sponsored account for an employee.
PINs for all sponsored account expire in 72 hours.
Generic accounts are not provided or supported by IT for security reasons.
Requesting Changes to an Account
Changes to an account including additional permissions or modifications to existing permissions must be requested by the supervisor via the Online Support Center.
All employee accounts expire when the job data in my.SMU is no longer active, or when a sponsorship expires. For temporary employees, this is when the PAF expires. For Full Time Benefit Eligible employees, this is when HR enters their termination date in my.SMU. Supervisors can contact IT to verify that an employee account has been terminated. Retired faculty and staff are eligible to maintain their email accounts.
Information about Parent / Authorized Person accounts at SMU.
Parents or Authorized Persons may have different types of accounts associated with SMU and making payments:
- my.SMU account – can view student information including grades, class schedules, account summaries, financial aid, etc. (cannot make payments with this account).
- SMUpay Account – can view bills and make payments through the third party payment system SMUpay.
- TuitionPay Acccount – This type of account is only used to process Predefined Payment Plans and Refunds that you have signed up for with SallieMae TuitionPay.
Parents or Authorized Persons of SMU students may have an account setup for them to review specific details about their student’s information in my.SMU. This information may include Class Schedules, Grades, Account Summary Information, Financial Aid information, etc. The permissions to view this information are provided by the student and result in the parent / authorized person having their own account to login to my.SMU. The username is an 8 digit ID # and the parent or authorized person will need to set a password for their account. Passwords can be set at smu.edu/activate using a PIN number provided by the student that requested the account. This account logs into my.SMU only, it does not log into the payment system used to make online payments.
Passwords for my.SMU accounts expire every 180 days. If you are experiencing trouble with your password you can go to our password tool at pwreset.smu.edu/ and try changing your password.
It is also recommended that you enroll in the password tool to setup security questions for your account. In the event that you forget your password or your account gets locked out you can answer the security questions and reset your password online.
Additional assistance for my.SMU account passwords can be obtained by calling the IT Help Desk at 214-768-4357. We cannot send password information via email for security reasons.
Parents or Authorized Persons are not able to make changes to student’s accounts such as purchase or change Campus Essentials for students or Waive Insurance for a student. These need to be handled by the student themselves.
Payments are not made within my.SMU. There is a link from within my.SMU to our Bursar Webpay site, where payments can be made as a Guest Payer or an Authorized Payer using SMUpay.
- Payments can be made using the Guest Payer option found on the Bursar’s Webpay page. Here the person making the payment needs to know the balance due and if that balance is on the Student Account or Miscellaneous Account. The details of what is due can be found within my.SMU Account Summary details. Guest Payers can choose to use an Electronic Bank Draft or a Credit Card (there is a convenience fee for the credit cards).
- Payments can be made and bills can be viewed if a person logs in to SMUpay as an Authorized Payer. An Authorized payer can be setup by the student and the information on how to login will be provided via email. Authorized Payer accounts are usually Alphanumeric (not the same as the 8 Digit ID# used to log into my.SMU). Once setup as an Authorized Payer, a person can login to SMUpay from the Bursar’s Webpage. Here they will be able to view bills and make payments. If you cannot remember the login credentials for SMUpay, there are links on the SMUpay login page for Forgot Username and Forgot Password.
SMU Monthly Payment Plan Options
SMU offers several monthly payment plans. Please refer to the Bursar’s Office website for detailed information - http://www.smu.edu/EnrollmentServices/Bursar/Payments/PaymentPlanOptions.
(Please note: the username is your SMU ID number)
The Online Password Tool offers 4 main features allowing an individual to manage their SMU login credentials.
This step must be completed with a working SMU ID and password. During this initial step, the individual will configure a series of security questions. The questions are provided but the individual must provide the appropriate answers.
This step is used when the individual does not have a working password and has previously completed the enrollment step outlined above. During this process, the individual provides their SMU ID number. They are then presented with the questions configured during enrollment. If the correct answers are provided, the individual can then reset their SMU password.
This feature is used when the individual knows their SMU password and simply wishes to change that password prior to the expiration date. If a password has expired but was not changed in time, this is the best option to use as well. This process requests your SMU ID number and current password in addition to selecting a new password. The security questions are not presented during this step.
After a certain number of incorrect login attempts, your SMU account may become locked. If your are certain the password is correct, try unlocking the account first. Once unlocked the password should be accepted by the servers.
About your SMU Password
Your SMU Password is set to automatically expire after 180 days. In most cases, you will receive several email notifications prior to the expiration. All passwords must meet certain requirements.
View the current password requirements and suggestions for selecting a secure password.
Password Verify Tool