August 13, 2012
The beginning of school is right around the corner. Is your student ready? Are you as a parent ready? Here are a few friendly reminders:
Safe and Well
- Remind your student to take the Academic Honesty tutorial online. It is also required.
- Remind your son or daughter about getting involved in at least one thing outside the classroom during the first six-weeks of school.
- Remind your student about the Semester at a Glance Calendar, the resources at the LEC and utilizing a professor’s office hours to get to know them!
- Have a discussion about this year’s Common Reading assignment. Students will discuss it together and will be expected to come prepared.
- Remind your student: “If you didn’t wear it last year, don’t bring it!” and “If you didn’t use it last year, don’t bring it!” Here are tips from Residence Life and Student Housing on room decor.
- Talk to your student about having a roommate and about the importance of the Roommate Agreement they will fill out during the first week of school.
- Students should Go to Class! Go to Class! Go to Class!
Taking Care of Business
- Did your student set you up as an Authorized Payer? (Parents can call 214-768-3417 for help once they’ve been authorized.)
- Also, did your student fill out the Student Release of Education Records through Access.SMU? After students grant access, parents will need to set up their own Access account to view the records.
- Be sure your student knows how to separate clothes for the washer and dryer, which are free of charge in residence halls.
- Discourage your student from bringing expensive jewelry that cannot be replaced.
For the Family
- Make reservations for Family Weekend online September 28-30.
- Have you told your student that you love him or her, and that he or she has your utmost confidence? Discuss common expectations concerning issues such as behavior, grades, and money as well as your expectations that he or she can (and you hope will) confide in you should things not go as planned.
Question for Deanie? Ask Deanie at email@example.com or 214-768-4797.