Fresh New Wave: Pop-Up Art Show Features SMU Artists
Exhibit runs May 24-June 19 and features sculpture, paintings and prints by more than 20 Dallas-area artists
SMU Meadows alumnus Spencer Tompkins (B.F.A. Art, ’11) and current student Axel Nussbaumer (B.A. Film and Media Arts, ’13) are starting their summer in a big way by presenting an ambitious art show at a pop-up gallery in Dallas’s tony Design District. “Fresh New Wave” features sculpture, paintings and prints by more than 20 Dallas-area artists, including a number of SMU students and alumni. The exhibit runs May 24-June 19 at the Ceylon et Cie space at 2420 S. Irving Boulevard. Admission is free.
Axel Nussbaumer (B.A. ’13, Film and Media Arts), left, with Spencer Tompkins (B.F.A. ’11, Art).
Painting by Dallas artist Liz Rathbone, titled Hmmm Ummm Hmmm.
“The show is an excellent way to recognize rising young talent,” says co-curator Tompkins.
The opening reception, to be held May 24 from 5-9 p.m., will have a DJ and food trucks and is sponsored by interior design firm Ceylon et Cie and Agavales Tequila. A portion of the show’s proceeds will be donated to the Dallas Contemporary for its youth outreach program. To RSVP for the reception, please email email@example.com.
SMU students and alumni in the show include:
- Kelly Coppock (B.F.A. ’12), sculpture
- Jack Cornell (B.A. ’12), printmaking
- Bernie Diaz (M.F.A. ’11), painting
- Alisha Driggers (B.A. ’11), sculpture
- Stephen Gardner (B.F.A. ’13), performing arts
- Kyle Hobratschk (B.F.A. ’11), painting
- Lydia Hollifield (B.F.A. ’11), sculpture
- Travis LaMothe (M.F.A. ’13), sculpture
- Adrienne Litchliter (B.A. ’10), painting
- Oscar Mejia (B.F.A. ’12), painting
- Luke Sanchez (B.F.A. ’13), painting
- Jake Theriot (B.F.A. ’13), painting
- Spencer Tompkins (B.F.A. ’11), painting and printmaking
- Tori Whitehead (B.A. ’12), drawing
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.