In order to pursue music studies at SMU (Performance, Music Therapy, Music Education, Composition, Music (B.A.) or Minor), you must be accepted both to the Meadows School of the Arts (via your audition), as well as to SMU (via your undergraduate application for admission).
Transfer Students: Note that all transfer students are required to complete college algebra or a college-level math course before transferring to SMU. We strongly encourage you to plan ahead and check with your transfer admission counselor to ensure that you have satisfied this admission requirement.
2014 – 15 Dallas Auditions
- Saturday, December 6, 2014
- Saturday, January 17, 2015
- Saturday, January 24, 2015
- Saturday, February 7, 2015
- Saturday, February 21, 2015
Online registration for music auditions will be available beginning September 1.
- All voice candidates who wish to audition live in Dallas on January 17, January 24, February 7, or February 21 must FIRST submit a pre-screening video by December 1. Prescreening videos may be uploaded to our Meadows website or submitted through GetAcceptd.com ($25 fee per submission with the option to submit the same recording to multiple schools).
- Submit your audition registration by clicking on the desired audition date above.
- Each performance area has its own requirements for your audition. Please view and prepare the required undergraduate audition repertoire.
- If you are auditioning for Music Composition, please see Music Composition admission requirements.
All SMU On-Campus Music Auditions are offered on Saturdays. We welcome all candidates to begin their visit to SMU on the Fridays preceding auditions, during the optional Pre-Audition Day, to become better acquainted with our facilities, students, and faculty before their audition experience.
View the Pre-Audition Day Schedule.
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you’re planning to attend the Pre-Audition Day, and, if you wish to go on the SMU Campus Tour, register for the 2:45 p.m. Campus Tour through the SMU Daily Visit form at smu.edu/visit.
While we strongly prefer that a prospective applicant audition in person, we accept auditions through a video recording.
- Submit your video audition registration through our online registration form. Videos may be uploaded to our Meadows website or submitted through GetAcceptd.com ($25 fee per submission with the option to submit the same recording to multiple schools).
- Audition repertoire must comply with the stated requirements.
- Submissions are due by January 15 for scholarship consideration.
- Music faculty may choose an interview or follow-up visit with candidates before reaching an admission decision.
Undergraduate Theory/Aural Skills Assessments
The Aural Skills Assessment will include pitch matching, melodic memory, rhythmic memory, and sight singing.
The Written Theory Assessment will examine your knowledge of the following: Major and minor (all forms) scales, major and minor triads (chords), key signatures, note names in both treble and bass clef, and common rhythms.