SFP Script Submission
***The Summer Film Production program IS currently accepting submissions***
Script submission is NOW OPEN for the 2017-19 SFP! The submission deadline is September 1st, 2017.
Scripts for each Summer Film Production are solicited prior to the fall of that SFP's cycle; that is, for the current SFP (2017-19), submissions are open from spring 2017 through August 2017. The next call for scripts, for the 2019-21 SFP, will go up in early 2019. All submissions must be made by the appropriate fall deadline of the submission year.
All scripts must be submitted as PDF files using the form on the bottom of this page.
Anyone may submit a script, and there is no limit on how many scripts an individual or writing team may submit.
To be considered for selection, scripts must meet the following criteria:
- Treatments or short stories will not be considered. ALL submissions must be completed screenplays for either a feature-length screenplays (i.e., 85-120 pages) or a TV series pilot.
- Scripts must be completely original work. No scripts based on existing material (unless that material was written by and is solely owned by the screenwriter) will be considered.
- Scripts must be possible (in the determination of the Film & Media Arts faculty) to make on a low budget with a 10-14 day shoot.
- Scripts must be shootable within 300 miles of Dallas. This does not require that the shoot be based in Dallas (the 2015-17 SFP Elsewhere, TX, for instance, was shot in Nacogdoches, TX, about three hours from Dallas) but scripts should not require locations farther than a few hours away. Entirely Dallas-based shoots (Legacy, the 2013-15 SFP, was shot entirely around Dallas) are fine as well.
- In general, scripts may be of any genre except documentary.
For further guidance on scripts, see the "Script Questions" section of the FAQ page.
Scripts will be read and assessed by a committee of Film & Media Arts faculty and students for quality, interest, and feasibility given the constraints (budgetary and time) and structure (student-run production) of this program. For additional guidance on how script selection decisions are made, see "What are you looking for in a script?" on the FAQs page.
After completing this form (make sure to attach your script in PDF format ONLY), you should receive a confirmation that the form and script have been received; if you have not received such a confirmation within a week after submitting both, please email us to check that they were properly received.