SMU is dedicated to making a high-quality education affordable, regardless of a student’s family circumstances or income level. More than 70 percent of the students who attend SMU receive some form of financial assistance or scholarships.
The Lyle School of Engineering offers engineering-specific scholarships such as the J. Lindsay Embrey Academic Excellence Scholarships along with other annual awards and prizes. These may be granted in combination with any of the general university wide scholarships described by the Office of Financial Aid.
Applying for Lyle School of Engineering Scholarships
The key to getting a Lyle School of Engineering scholarship is to apply for SMU admission by January 15 of your senior year of high school. If engineering or computer science is listed as your first choice major on your admissions application, you will be considered for an engineering scholarship.
Here are the criteria used to award School of Engineering scholarships:
- High School credentials (grades, entrance test scores/SAT, leadership experience, range of personal accomplishments, extracurricular activities) as evaluated by the Engineering Undergraduate Office.
- Scholarships are solely based on merit. Family finances are not a factor.
- All scholarships are competitive.
- Citizenship is not a factor.
- Scholarships are renewable for four years, provided that full-time engineering enrollment and a 3.0 GPA are maintained.
Applying for Financial Aid
They key to getting other forms of financial aid is completing the FAFSA by February 15 of your senior year of high school. You also need to file a CSS/PROFILE through the College Board. This profile will give our financial aid advisors more information to further assess your need based financial aid. Financial Aid can come in many ways, including grants, loans, and work study programs. Get more Financial Aid Information>>
How To Apply:
- Go to www.pin.ed.gov and apply for a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to use on all documentation.
- Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov and use your PIN to complete to file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Request that your FAFSA be sent to SMU, Title IV Code #003613.
- Be sure to respond to all additional requests for information as quickly as possible.
- You will be notified of financial aid awards in a timely manner.
Apply for National Scholarships
Lyle SMU Engineering is dedicated to supporting and encouraging all students to apply for national engineering scholarships.
A list of scholarships with links to their Web sites.