Eli V. Olinick
Department of Engineering Management, Information, and Systems
B.S., Brown University, 1989; M.S., University of California, Berkeley, 1994; Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, 1999
Applied mathematical optimization; Telecommunications network design and optimization; Design and analysis of algorithms
Research Accomplishments and Activities
Author of papers published in INFORMS Journal on Computing; Co-author of technical papers on topics such as "Wavelength Routing and Assignment" and "The Sonet Edge Partition Problem"
There should always be a scientific framework used to approach problem solving. SMU gives its students the opportunity to work with, and receive personal attention from, faculty members who are actively pursuing state-of-the-art engineering research.
- "The Use of Sparsest Cuts to Reveal the Hierarchical Community Structure of Social Networks." Charles F. Mann, David W. Matula, and Eli V. Olinick. Social Networks, Vol. 30, No. 3, July 2008, pp. 223-234.
- "Optimizing Revenue in CDMA Networks Under Demand Uncertainty." Eli V. Olinick and Jay M. Rosenberger. European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.186, No. 2, April 2008, pp. 812-825.
- "Basic Mathematical Programming Models for Capacity Allocation in Mesh-based Survivable Networks." Jeffery Kennington, Eli V. Olinick, and Georghe Spiride. Omega, Vol. 35, No. 6, December 2007, pp. 629 - 644.
- "W-CDMA Network Design." Q. Cai, J. Kalvenes, J. Kennington, and E. Olinick. International Journal of Mobile Network Design and Innovation, Vol. 2, No. 2, 2007, pp. 92-104
- "Design Strategies for Meeting Unavailability Targets Using Dedicated Protection in DWDM Networks." G. Birkan, J. Kennington, E. Olinick, A. Ortynski, and G. Spiride. Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 25, No. 5, May 2007, pp. 1120-1129.
- "Robust Tower Location for CDMA Networks." Jay M. Rosenberger and Eli V. Olinick. Naval Research Logistics, Vol. 54, No. 2, March 2007, pp. 151-161.
- "Base Station Location and Service Assignment in W-CDMA Networks." Joakim Kalvenes, Jeffery Kennington, and Eli V. Olinick. INFORMS Journal on Computing, Vol. 18, No. 3, Summer 2006, pp. 366-376. AMPL code and data files.
- "Practical Integrated Design Strategies for Opaque and All-Optical Networks: Optimization Models and Solution Procedures." G. Birkan, J. Kennington, E. Olinick, A. Ortynski, and G. Spiride. Telecommunication Systems, Vol. 31, No. 1, January 2006, pp. 61-83.
- "Hierarchical Cellular Network Design with Channel Allocation." Joakim Kalvenes, Jeffery Kennington, and Eli V. Olinick. European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 160, No. 1, January 2005, pp. 3 - 18
- "Wavelength Translation in WDM Networks: Optimization Models and Solution Procedures." Jeffery L. Kennington and Eli V. Olinick. INFORMS Journal on Computing, Vol. 16, No. 2, Spring 2004, pp. 174-187.
- "Making a Case for Using Integer Programming to Design DWDM Networks." Giray Birkan, Jeffery L. Kennington, Eli V. Olinick, Augustyn Ortynski and Gheorghe Spiride. Optical Networks Magazine, Vol. 4, No. 6, November/December 2003, pp. 107-120.
- "An Incremental Procedure for Improving Path Assignment in a Telecommunications Network." D. Allen, I. Ismail, J. Kennington, and E. Olinick. Journal of Heuristics, Vol. 9, No. 5, November 2003, pp. 375-399.
- "SONET/SDH Ring Assignment with Capacity Constraints." Olivier Goldschmidt, Alexandre Laugier, and Eli V. Olinick. Discrete Applied Mathematics Vol. 129, No. 1, June 2003, pp. 99-128.
- "Robust Solutions for the WDM Routing and Provisioning Problem: Models and Algorithms." Jeffery L. Kennington, Karen R. Lewis, Eli V. Olinick, Augustyn Ortynski, and Gheorghe Spiride. Optical Networks Magazine, Vol 4, No. 2, March-April 2003, pp. 74-84.
- "Wavelength Routing and Assignment in a Survivable WDM Mesh Network." Jeffery Kennington, Eli Olinick, Augustyn Ortynski, and Gheorghe Spiride. Operations Research, Vol. 51, No.1, January-February 2003, pp. 67-79.
- "The SONET Edge-Partition Problem." Olivier Goldschmidt, Dorit S. Hochbaum, Asaf Levin, and Eli V.
Olinick. Networks, Vol. 41, No. 1, January 2003, pp. 13-23.
- "Baseball, Optimization and the World Wide Web." Ilan Adler, Alan Erera, Dorit S. Hochbaum, and Eli V. Olinick. Interfaces, Vol. 32, No. 2, March-April 2002, pp. 12-22.
- "The Bounded Cycle-Cover Problem." Dorit S. Hochbaum and Eli V. Olinick. INFORMS Journal on Computing, Vol. 13, No. 2, Spring 2001, pp. 104-119.