Choon S. Lee
Department of Electrical Engineering
B.A., Physics, Rice University, 1977; M.S., Physics, Texas A&M University, 1979; M.S., Electrical Engineering, 1983; Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, 1986
Antennas and propagation
Research Accomplishments and Activities
Since he joined SMU in 1989, Dr. Lee's research interest has been microstrip antennas. He has been developing efficient microstrip array antennas for satellite applications. Also his interest has been on electrically small antennas for wireless devices such as cellular phones. These antennas are much smaller than wavelength while maintaining good radiation efficiencies. He has published a number of papers and patented various novel antennas.
Dr. Lee's research philosophy has been practical applications of the research results. In other words, the engineering aspect of research has to be emphasized. Also such research activities have to give a positive impact on teaching at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
EE 2322: Electronic Circuit I; EE 2350: Circuit Analysis I; EE 2352: Circuit Analysis II; EE 2381: Digital Computer Logic; EE 3322: Electronic Circuit II; EE 3330: Electomagnetic Waves and Fields; EE 3360: Statistical Methods in Engineering; EE 5330/7330: Electomagnetics: Guided Waves; EE 5332/7332: Electromagnetics: Radiation and Antennas; EE 5331/7331: Numerical Techniques in Electromagnetics; EE 5333/7333: Antennas and Propagation for Wireless Communications; EE 5375/7375: Advanced Electomagnetic Theory; EE 8390: Special Topics – Ray Techniques in Electromagnetics; EE 8390: Special Topics – RF Electronics for Wireless Communications; EE 8390: Special Topics – Microwave Transistor Amplifiers
- K.-H. Tseng and C. S. Lee, “Enhanced Radiation Efficiency of Electrically Small Microstrip Antennas,” Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 62-64, October 2003.
- C. S. Lee and K.-H. Tseng, “Radiation Efficiency of Electrically Small Microstrip Antennas with Width Discontinuities,” IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, pp. 871-873, 2005.
- D.D. de Schweinitz and C.S. Lee, “Phase Progression Method for Yagi-Uda Design,” Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, pp. 430-434, 2005.
- C. S. Lee, Y. R. Cha and Chanam Lee, “Compact Microstrip Antenna,” Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, pp. 74-76, 2006.
- C. S. Lee, Alistair Duffy and Chanam Lee, “Antenna Efficiency Measurements in a Reverberation Chamber without the need for a Reference Antenna,” IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, pp. 448-450, 2008.