PLEASE CHECK BACK IN EARLY OCTOBER
FOR UPDATED INFORMATION ABOUT JAN TERM 2015.
Reminders for Enrolled Students
Enrolled students should also review the following J Term information before traveling to Taos:
- Syllabus – Be sure to review your course syllabus thoroughly; click on “Courses in Taos,” then your course title, and then on “view syllabus.” J Term promises to be an intensive and fast-paced learning experience, so you will want to get a head start! For any questions related to your specific course, please contact your professor directly and be on the lookout for emails that he/she may send.
- Textbooks – If your course requires textbook(s), please buy these soon as many courses have advanced reading assignments before the first class day. Book orders were placed through the SMU Bookstore for all J Term courses using them, so you can purchase books through them or any other source you choose.
- Tuition – As a reminder, J Term tuition and room and board fees were due on Thursday, December 19 (or within 24 hours of actual enrollment after this date.) An additional fee of approx. $150 is assessed for late payments.
- Things to Pack – Please be sure to review the Taos Information Packet (link above) for details regarding what to bring (especially winter clothing and boots) and what NOT to bring. Please note that bed linens are provided. Please pack your own bath towels.
- Travel to Taos – Whether you are flying or driving (see detailed information in Taos Information Packet), please pay close attention to the possibility of winter weather conditions.
- Arrival/Departure – Please plan to arrive at Fort Burgwin between 2:00 and 6:00 pm for check-in on either Thursday, January 2 (for Mountain Sports and RA’s only) or on Sunday, January 5 (for all other J Term courses). Departure should be no later than 10:00 am on Thursday, January 16.
- Orientation – Orientation and dinner will immediately follow check-in. All faculty and students should be present in the Dining Hall at 6:00 pm. After orientation, each class will meet with their professor for a brief introduction to review the course syllabus and specify classroom.
- Lodging – J Term students will stay in semi-private casitas, which house up to 3 people per room. Rooms are furnished with bunk beds, a closet and drawers. Electrically heated and "winterized," the casitas also include a bathroom with shower facilities and a common area with a wood-burning fireplace.
- Shipping – Students may ship packages to the SMU-in-Taos campus for J Term. Packages should contain absolutely NO food/perishable items, or items that will be damaged if frozen or wet. We recommend shipping your package so that it arrives after Thursday, January 1, 2014. Clearly label your package following this format and ship as “No Signature Required”: ATTN: Student Name, Dining Hall, SMU-in-Taos, 6580 Highway 518, Ranchos de Taos, NM 87557.
- Change in Plans – In the event that your plans change and you are unable to participate in J Term, please let us know right away. Send an email to: email@example.com and include your name, student ID and course number/name. We will need to complete a J Term cancellation form on your behalf as you cannot drop your J Term course through Access.
- Refunds/Cancellations – Please be aware that there are strict deadlines related to refunds and cancellations/withdrawals from J Term; for more information, visit the J Term website and click on “Important Deadlines.” Room and board fees will not be refundable after Thursday, December 26. Any cancellations occurring after December 26 will forfeit room and board fees.