PLEASE CHECK BACK IN EARLY OCTOBER
FOR UPDATED INFORMATION ABOUT JAN TERM 2015.
Reminders for Enrolled Students
Enrolled students should review the following J Term information before the first day of class:
- Syllabus – Be sure to read your course syllabus thoroughly; click on “Plano courses,” then your course title, and then on “view syllabus.” J Term promises to be an intensive and fast-paced learning experience, so you will want to get a head start! For any questions related to your specific course, please contact your professor directly and be on the lookout for emails that he/she may send.
- Textbooks – If your course requires textbook(s), please buy these soon as many courses have advanced reading assignments before the first class day. Book orders were placed through the SMU Bookstore for all J Term courses using them, so you can purchase books through them or any other source you choose.
- Tuition – As a reminder, J Term tuition was due on Thursday, December 19 (or within 24 hours of actual enrollment after this date). An additional fee of $150 is assessed for late payments.
- First Day of Class – Most J Term classes start at 9:00 am. Please plan to arrive at least 15-20 minutes early to get parked (it’s free!) and check-in at the J Term desk in the lobby of Building 4 where most of the J Term classes will be held (Building 3 for those classes that start at 2:00 pm). There will be staff on-hand to assist you, as well as signage directing you to your specific classroom. Please don’t be late!
- Welcome Lunch/Dinner – We will be hosting a complimentary welcome lunch (and dinner for those in classes that start at 2:00 pm), so please plan to join us. Speaking of food, please note that we do not have food service on the Plano campus (just vending machines and a coffee vendor), but there are lots of restaurants and fast-food places nearby. We will give you a map in your welcome packet which will show you all the options.
- Campus Directions – For directions to the SMU-to-Plano campus, click on “SMU-in-Plano.” Depending on your location, the fastest route may be the North Dallas Tollway (exit Spring Creek/Tennyson) but that is also the most costly. To avoid paying tolls, travel north on either Preston or Hillcrest which turns into Ohio; then turn left on Tennyson. Please plan your trip in advance and allow plenty of time for possible traffic delays. Our physical address is: 5236 Tennyson Parkway, Building 4, Plano, TX 75024.
- Hotel Accommodations – If you need a place to stay during J Term, we strongly suggest the Marriott Towne Place Suites, which is located very close to the Plano campus. The reservation deadline is Tuesday, December 31, and they are offering reduced rates for J Term students. For details, click on “Housing/Hotel” which appears in the menu on the right.
- Change in Plans – In the event that your plans change and you are unable to participate in J Term, please let us know right away. Send an email to: email@example.com and include your name, student ID and course number/name. We will need to complete a J Term cancellation form on your behalf as you cannot drop your J Term course through Access.
- Refunds/Cancellations – Please be aware that there are strict deadlines related to refunds and cancellations/withdrawals from J Term; for more information, click on “Deadlines.”