To assist in making a SMU education possible financially, the University commits significant funding for those who qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) and the Yellow Ribbon program.
Undergraduate students who are eligible for 100% funding from Chapter 33 benefits receive a base tuition allowance of $21,970.46 per year from the VA for the 2016-2017 academic year. With Yellow Ribbon funding, SMU provides a grant for 50% of the remaining tuition and fee charges, and that amount is matched by the VA.
Please note that:
- Only students who are eligible at the 100% rate for the Post 9/11 GI Bill are eligible to apply for the Yellow Ribbon program.
- SMU Yellow Ribbon Scholarships are offered in lieu of all other SMU funded aid, including previously offered academic scholarships. If veteran benefits expire prior to graduation, academic scholarships may be reinstated as long as academic renewal requirements have been met.
- Graduate students may also apply for Yellow Ribbon funding. Funding for graduate students is determined by academic department and may not be available in all degree programs.
- Renewal of SMU funded Yellow Ribbon contributions requires that you maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress towards you degree.
- Eligibility for the Yellow Ribbon Program is determined by the Veterans Affairs Office and not SMU.
Veterans who wish to be considered for the Yellow Ribbon Program must complete and submit the YRP application to the SMU VA Certifying Official. Please note that this is a first-come, first-served basis.