Give Now

Applying for Initial and Continuing VA Benefits at SMU

NOTE: At this time, SMU certifies VA students for academic programs only.

Documents required to apply for initial VA educational benefits can be printed from this page.

  • VA forms must be submitted online to VA.
  • Copies of VA forms (and other documents listed below) must be submitted to the Registrar's Office

Four ways to submit documents to Registrar's Office:

  • Fax ALL documents to 214-768-2507 (Attn: VA Certifying Official)
  • Email to
  • Deliver to Registrar’s Office
      Laura Lee Blanton Building, Room 101
      6185 Airline Road
      Dallas, TX 75205
  • Mail to Southern Methodist University
      Registrar’s Office
      PO Box 750181
      Dallas, TX 75275-0181

Emergency Short-Term Loans while waiting on VA BAH/Book stipend

NOTE: The term Veterans is used in this document to describe a student who is eligible for and/or has claiming veteran benefits for the term. This includes veterans, spouses and dependents.

To bridge the gap for students waiting at the start of a semester for their first VA payment, two types of short-term, no interest loans are available. The White Loan is managed through the Dean of Student Affairs’ office and offers up to $1,000 in assistance. The Bursar’s Office processes these loans upon approval from Student Affairs.

The Southland Loan is available through the Financial Aid Office for situations where the total needed amount exceeds $1,000. Veterans are eligible to apply for Southland loans if the Registrar’s Office is in the process of certifying (or completed) the use of their VA benefits for the semester. The loans are only available at the start of the fall and spring semesters while veterans are waiting for their first payment of the semester from the VA. The loans must be repaid to SMU no later than the first day of continuing student enrollment for the following semester.

Click here for information.


What documents do I need to submit?

Using VA Benefits for the First Time

Using VA Benefits for the First Time at SMU

(If you previously used VA benefits at another school)

Continuing SMU VA Students

  • Inform VA Certifying Official EACH TERM that you wish to be certified with VA
  • Veterans are responsible for knowing when their VA benefits are exhausted