Hiring in progress
In basic job search enter Administrative Assistant and select job ID 900351 under location Development and External Affairs.
Job ID: 900351
Job Family: Unclassified
Department: Development and Alumni Affairs
Pay Range: $16.67 an hour - $18.19 an hour
This position will report directly to the Associate Director for Alumni Programs. The primary role of this position is to manage customer services, oversee general office administration, maintain the General Operations budget, and supervise the SMU Alumni Relations and Engagement work-study. This position is also responsible for planning, executing, and managing logistics for the following events: three SMU Alumni Board meetings, 11 “Red Zone” Tailgates, Rotunda Processional, and the Rotunda Recessional.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Customer Service Operations: Responsible for customer service operations which include monitoring the SMU Alumni Relations and Engagement mainline;
- Responding to incoming firstname.lastname@example.org emails within 24 hours;
- Assisting alumni with questions regarding the SMU Alumni Directory;
- Answering questions regarding SMU Alumni events and programs which involves an understanding of all ongoing projects;
- Ensuring office administrative necessities are met (monitors copy machine, fax machine, printers, and general office supplies); and any other administrative duties that may arise.
- Supervises workload for the SMU Alumni Relations and Engagement work-study (student worker).
- Alumni Board Meetings/Events Staffing: Plan, execute, and manage logistics for 3 SMU Alumni Board Meetings and one board reception each year.
- Researching possible venues, negotiating contracts/agreements, coordinate catering, arranging on-campus parking, tracking meeting attendance, and communicating meeting logistics with board members through mail, email, social media and web.
- Tailgate Events Staffing: Plan, execute, and manage logistics for 11 “Red Zone” Tailgate events each year (approximately seven home games and four away games).
- Secure Boulevard space and tents, negotiating contracts/agreements, coordinate catering, event registration, and marketing through mail, email, social media and web and being in attendance to staff events and assist with coordinating volunteers to staff events.
- Plan, execute, and manage logistics for the Rotunda Processional and Rotunda Recessional working closely with Office of Commencement Programs, securing Dallas Hall and Rotunda, negotiating contracts/agreements, coordinate catering, arranging on-campus parking, tracking meeting attendance, and communicating meeting logistics with board members through mail, email, social media and web.
- Act as back-up for other Alumni Relations events and programs such as Homecoming, Inside SMU, DAA, board meetings, other general alumni on-campus events, and alumni travel program. Also serve as back-up for alumni main phone line and email.
High School Diploma is required; Bachelor’s degree is strongly preferred. A minimum of 2 years professional work experience that includes general bookkeeping and/or budget management is required. Experience handling or managing events logistics is strongly preferred. Some lifting, climbing and carrying may be required due to events part of the role. Experience in higher education administration and/or in non-profit is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Candidate must possess strong organization skills with attention to detail, as well as strong analytical and professional problem solving skills in order to effectively handle events.
Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
Candidate must be able to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as collaboratively within a team environment
Candidates must demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
Knowledge of Filemaker Pro a plus.
Knowledge of SMU culture and traditions a plus.
This position will periodically require evening and weekend hours.
Priority consideration may be given to submissions received by March 22, 2013. Deadline to Apply : March 29, 2013. Please visit our website to apply, or submit resume and cover letter to: Search Committee, Job ID 900351, P.O. Box 750232, Dallas, TX 75275-0232.