Description of the ATP Program
Through collaboration between Dedman College at SMU and the University of Texas-Southwestern Medical Center, students may apply for admission to SMU and simultaneously for conditional acceptance to the Master of Physical Therapy program at the UT-Southwestern Allied Health Sciences School. The APT Program is intended to provide a direct path from the undergraduate degree at SMU to the Master of Physical Therapy program at UT-Southwestern.
Admission Requirements for UT-Southwestern through the APT Program
- Fill out the pre-physical therapy form (usually during AARO).
- Apply for pre-acceptance by December 1st during the first year, by writing a letter of interest to Dr. de Olivares.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.4 on all pre-requisite coursework.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.4 each semester.
- Reconfirm APT interest by June of each year.
- Complete at least two summer internship experiences (paid or unpaid) following the first, sophomore, and/or junior years, at sites approved by the APT program.
- Complete specific courses required for the APT curriculum before matriculation at UT-Southwestern.
- Complete the SMU Bachelor’s degree.
How to Apply
Submit the regular SMU admission application (or Common App) to SMU before January 15. During AARO, talk with your Academic Advisor about your interest. He or she will help you plan your class schedule. A letter of interest for pre-acceptance is due on or before December 1 of the first year of undergraduate study. The letter should be sent to:
Dr. Karen de Olivares, Ph.D.
Southern Methodist University
Room 135 Dedman Life Sciences Building
P.O. Box 0271 Dallas, TX 75275-0272
Visit the Department of Applied Physiology and Wellness website here.