Markets & Culture Undergraduate Advisor
Director, Center for Academic-Community Engagement
PhD, Texas Woman's University
Room G02A Clements Hall
Research and Teaching Interests
Sociology of Aging, Family/Family Violence, Masculinity/Men's Studies, Introduction to Sociology, HIV/AIDS
I work in the specific areas of HIV/AIDS, gay male domestic violence, and the sociology of aging gay men. I have several articles in progress that are related to the aging process for gay men.
2006. "Conferring Meaning Onto Alcohol Related Violence: An Analysis of Alcohol Use and Gender in a Sample of College Youth." Journal of Men's Studies. with Robert L. Peralta. 14:109-125.
2005. "Pioneer Women Doing Sociology: The Story of Ms. Jessie Taft." Pp. 103-15 in Portraits of Women Sociologists: Past to Present, edited by Pat Nation, Calvin Easterling, and Brenda D. Phillips. NY: Whittier Publishing.
2005. "Rose Laub Coser: A Second Look." Pp. 171-83 in Portraits of Women Sociologists: Past to Present, edited by Pat Nation, Calvin Easterling, and Brenda D. Phillips. NY: Whittier Publishing.
2003. "Why Doesn't He Just Leave?" Gay Male Domestic Violence and Reasons Victims Stay." Journal of Men's Studies. 11:309-323.
- 2007 Rotunda Yearbook Outstanding Professor Award, 2007-2008
- 2005 University of Southern Maine (USM) Student Senate Award for Outstanding Contribution to Campus Diversity
- USM Student Senate Award for Outstanding Faculty/Staff Involvement
- 2003 USM Student Leader Award for Faculty Involvement with Multicultural Student Association
- 2002 Hero and Mentor Award, USM