Associate Professor and Department Chair
PhD, Ohio State University
Hyer Hall 306E
Research and Teaching Interests
Women's Political Representation, Democratization in Eastern Europe, Wealth and Consumption, Social Stratification and Inequality.
My research focuses on understanding and identifying the structural mechanisms that produce social inequality. In my research on women’s political participation I’m particularly interested in the role of political parties and national ideologies as explanations for women’s limited access to national political office. In my research on wealth I focus on the economic consequences of financial transfers to children and employer savings programs. In my research on distributive justice, I focus on cross-national differences in meritocratic beliefs and the division of household labor.
Kunovich, Sheri. 2012. “Voting Rates 1989 to 2007: Is There a Gender Gap in Poland?” International Journal of Sociology 42(1): 60-77.
Kunovich, Sheri. 2012. "Unexpected Winners: The Significance of an Open-List System on Women’s Representation in Poland." Politics & Gender 8: 155-177.
Kunovich, Robert M. and Sheri Kunovich. 2008. "Gender Dependence and Attitudes Toward the Household Distribution of Labor: A Comparative and Multilevel Analysis." International Journal of Comparative Sociology 49(6): 395-427.
Kunovich, Sheri and Kazimierz M. Slomczynski. 2007. “Systems of Distribution and the Resulting Attitudes: A Multilevel Analysis of Meritocratic Attitudes in Post-Industrial Societies.” European Sociological Review 23(5): 649-663.
Paxton, Pamela, Sheri Kunovich, and Melanie Hughes. 2007. “Women in Politics: A Comparative Perspective.” Annual Review of Sociology 33: 263-284.
Kunovich, Sheri and Pamela Paxton. 2005. “Pathways to Power: The Role of Political Parties in Women’s National Political Representation.” American Journal of Sociology, 111 (2): 505-552.
Paxton, Pamela and Sheri Kunovich. 2003. “Women’s Political Representation: The Importance of Ideology.” Social Forces 82 (1): 87-114.
Kunovich, Sheri. 2003. "The Representation of Polish and Czech Women in National Politics: Predicting Electoral List Position". Comparative Politics 35 (April): 273-291.
- 2014. Excellence in Mentoring Award. Center for Engaged Learning. Southern Methodist University.
- 2013. Altshuler Distinguished Teaching Professor Award. Southern Methodist University.
- 2013. Margareta Deschner Teaching Award. Women's and Gender Studies. Southern Methodist University.
- 2010. Golden Mustang Award. Southern Methodist University
- 2009. Sam Taylor Fellowship. United Methodist General Board of Higher Education and Ministry.
- 2008. Maynard Research Funds for Women's Studies. Southern Methodist University.
- 2004. Gerald J. Ford Early Career Research Fellowship. Southern Methodist University.