PhD, Ohio State University
Room 306F Hyer Hall
Research and Teaching Interests
Quantitative Research Methodology; Sociology of Gender; Sociology of Work, Organizations, and Occupations; Class, Race, and Gender Inequalities; Social Statistics
My primary research interests lie in racial, ethnic, and gender inequality in the workplace. I am specifically interested in the determinants and consequences of structured racial, ethnic, and gender inequality in occupational and organizational rewards such as earnings, promotion, and mobility opportunities. I am also interested in the determinants of the race and sex composition of organizations and how these racial and sex compositions affect inequality in worker rewards and opportunities.
Wilson, George and Debra Branch McBrier. 2005. "Race and Loss of Privilege: African American/White Differences in the Determinants of Job Layoffs From Upper-Tier Occupations." Sociological Forum 20(2):301-321.
McBrier, Debra Branch and George Wilson. 2004. "Going Down? Race and Downward Occupational Mobility in the 1990s." Work and Occupations 31(3):283-322.
McBrier, Debra Branch. 2003. "Gender and Career Dynamics within a Segmented Professional Labor Market: The Case of Law Academia." Social Forces 81(4):1201-66.
Schieman, Scott, Debra Branch McBrier, and Karen Van Gundy. 2003. "Gender, Home-to-Work Spillover, and Depression." Sociological Forum 18(1):137-64.
Reskin, Barbara F. and Debra Branch McBrier. 2000. "Why Not Ascription? Organizations' Employment of Male and Female Managers." American Sociological Review. 65:210-33.
Reskin, Barbara F., Debra Branch McBrier, and Julie Kmec. 1999. "The Determinants and Consequences of Organizational Sex and Race Composition." Annual Review of Sociology 25:335-61.
Baldi, Stephane and Debra Branch McBrier (co-authors). 1997. "Do the Determinants of Promotion Differ for Blacks and Whites? Evidence from the U.S. Labor Market." Work and Occupations 24:478-497.
- Southern Methodist University, Altshuler Learning Enhancement Center, PAT Award 2014.
- Southern Methodist University, Provost's Teaching Recognition Award 2013-2014.
- University of Texas at Arlington, Nominee for Chancellor's Council Outstanding Teaching Award 2004
- University of Texas at Arlington, Nominee for Chancellor's Council Outstanding Teaching Award 2005
- University of Texas at Arlington, Nominee and Honorable Mention for Outstanding Academic Advisor 2005
- Ohio State University, Department of Sociology, Teaching Excellence Award 1998
- Ohio State University, Sociology Graduate Student Association, Award for Outstanding Dedication to Teaching 1998
- Ohio State University, Department of Sociology, Research and Publishing Fellowship 1998