Adjunct Assistant Professor
Dallas Hall Room 58-A
PhD, MPhil (distinction), University of Oxford, 2011
BA (summa cum laude) UCLA, 2001
“Constructing Patriotic Memory in the Soviet Union after Stalin: The Project for Moscow’s All-Union Memorial to Victory in World War II,” accepted for inclusion in the volume Excavating Memory: Material Culture Approaches to Sites of Remembering and Forgetting (forthcoming, University of Florida Press).
“Remembrance of the Great Fatherland War in the Development of the Concept of the ‘Soviet People’” [in Russian], Forum for Contemporary East European History and Culture, forthcoming, 2013.
“The Soviet Myth of the Great Fatherland War and the Limits of Inclusionary Politics under Brezhnev: The Case of Chalmaevist Literature,” Nationalities Papers: The Journal of Nationalism and Ethnicity 41, no. 1, 2013 (Winner of the Evan and Peggy Anderson Best Peer-Reviewed Paper Prize)
“Building a Pan-Soviet Past: The Soviet War Cult and the Turn Away from Ethnic Particularism,” The Soviet and Post-Soviet Review 38, no. 2 (2011).
“Review of ‘The Great War in Russian Memory’ by Karen Petrone,” The Journal of Contemporary History 48, no. 1 (2013).
“Review of ‘A Failed Empire: The Soviet Union in the Cold War from Stalin to Gorbachev’ by Vladislav Zubok,” Europe-Asia Studies 61:3 (May 2009).
Work in Progress
Book project based on doctoral dissertation: "Imagining the Soviet Nation: Cultural Memory of the Great Patriotic War and the Limits of Russian Nationalism after Stalin"
- Evan and Peggy Anderson Best Paper Prize, Oxford University, 2013
- Kennan Institute Title VIII Grant, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, 2010
- Vice-Chancellors’ / Andrew Smith Memorial Foundation Award, Oxford University, 2009
- Kathryn Davis Grant, American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies, 2009
- Archie Brown Doctoral Bursary, Oxford University, awarded 2007
- Peter Fitzpatrick Scholarship, St. Antony’s College, Oxford University, awarded 2007
- Visiting Research Scholar, History Faculty, Moscow State University, 2006-07
- Scatcherd European Scholarship, University of Oxford, awarded 2006
- SRAS Research Grant, School of Russian and Asian Studies, awarded 2006
- Colin Matthew Fund, St. Hugh’s College, Oxford University, awarded 2006
- Ilchester Fund, Faculty of Medieval and Modern Languages, Oxford University, awarded 2006
- Carr, Stahl, and JCR Travel Funds, St. Antony’s College, Oxford University, awarded 2006-07
- HEFCE Postgraduate Studentship/Fellowship, Oxford University, awarded 2004
- Academic-Year Ambassadorial Scholarship (Russia/CIS), Rotary International, awarded 2002
Professional Activities and Service
- Senior thesis oral examiner, School for the Talented and Gifted, Dallas, TX, 2013.
- UCAS undergraduate admissions interviews and applicant evaluations, University of Wales, Swansea, 2009 incoming class.
- Undergraduate admissions interviews and applicant evaluations, St. Edmund Hall, Oxford University, 2009 incoming class.
- Graduate student mentor for incoming doctoral students, Graduate Student Mentoring Scheme, Faculty of History, University of Oxford, 2008-09.
- College Conferences Fund Committee member, St. Antony’s College, Oxford, 2008.
- Chair of St. Antony’s College, Oxford JCR (student governing body), 2004.
- Summer Intern, European Bank of Reconstruction and Development, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, 2004.
My research focuses on the relationship between social memory and efforts to foster a sense of common identity among historically fractured and ethnically diverse populations. My doctoral work considered this process in the context of the Soviet Union’s remembrance of the Second World War, looking in particular at the interaction between state commemorative practices and elite conceptions of Russian and Soviet national identity
Before coming to SMU, I taught at Florida State University, the University of Wales, Swansea, and Hertford College, Oxford, and served as a two-time visiting scholar at Moscow State University and the Woodrow Wilson Center in Washington D.C.
Last updated 08/13