Ph.D., U. of California, Santa Barbara
- African American Literature: Re-Creating the Harlem Renaissance.
- Modern and Contemporary American Literature: Postmodern American Literature.
- African American Literature: African American Satire
- Modern and Contemporary American Literature: The City in American Literature.
- The Columbia Guide to Contemporary African American Fiction. New York: Columbia University Press, 2005.
- African American Satire: The Sacredly Profane Novel. Columbia: University of Missouri Press, 2001.
- "African Americans and the Making of Modernity.” American Literary History (ALH), Fall 2013.
- “The Historical Burden that Only Oprah Can Bear’: African American Satirists and the State of the Literature.” Contemporary African American Literature: The Living Canon, ed. Shirley Moody and Lovalerie King. Indiana University Press, 2013.
- “Waiting for Olódùmarè: Ishmael Reed and the Recovery of Yoruba.” Literary Expressions of African Spirituality. Ed. Elizabeth West and Carol Marsh-Lockett. Lexington Books, 2013.
- “African American Literature and the Great Depression.” The Cambridge History of African American Literature. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2011.