Robert H. and Nancy Dedman Trustee Professor
Ph.D., Hebrew University at Jerusalem
Umphrey Lee 301N
Shlomo Weber, Robert H. and Nancy Dedman Trustee Professor of Economics, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, USA, and Director of the Center for Study of Diversity and Social Interactions, New Economic School, Moscow.
He is a member of the Executive Committee of the GDN Board of Directors and the EERC Academic Advisory Board. He holds M.Sc. in Mathematics from Moscow State University and Ph.D. from Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Professor Weber served as the Chairman of the Department of Economics at SMU, the Research Director of CORE (Center for Operations Research and Econometrics) at the Catholic University of Louvain, Belgium, and the Academic Director of the International School of Economics, Tbilisi, Georgia. He published more than 100 articles in leading journals in economics and political science.
Game Theory, Political Economy, Public Economics, Languages and Economics, Economics of Diversity.
Political Economy, Welfare Economics, Industrial Organization, Microfoundations of Macroeconomics, Public Economics, Game Theory, Advanced Economic Analysis, Mathematical Analysis for Economists, Economics of Diversity.
- "How Many Languages Do We Need: Economics of Linguistic Diversity” (with V. Ginsburgh), Princeton University Press, 2011.
- "Oxford Handbook of Russian Economy” (with M. Alexeev), eds., Oxford University Press, 2013.
- "Palgrave Handbook of Economics and Language” (with V. Ginsburgh) eds., McMillan Publishers, forthcoming.
- "Break-up of Countries and Unions: Simple Theory and Quantitative Analysis" (with K. Desmet, M. Le Breton and I. Ortuno-Ortin), Journal of Economic Growth, 2011(16), 183-213.
- "Almost Subsidy-Free Spatial Pricing in a Multidimensional Setting” (with J. Dreze, M. Le Breton and A.Savvateev), Journal of Economic Theory, 2009, 143 (1), 275-291.
- "Linguistic Diversity and Redistribution" (with K.Desmet and I. Ortuno-Ortin), Journal of the European Economic Association 2009, 7(6), 1291-1318.
- "Competing in Taxes and Investment under Fiscal Equalization" (with J. Hindricks and S. Peralta), Journal of Public Economics, 2008, 92(12), 2392-2402.
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowship, Bonn, Germany (1981).
- E.H.E.S.S. Research Professorship, France, (1992, 1996, 2004).
- Casa di Risparmio Prize, Venice, Italy (1994).
- Visiting Research Scholarship, Tokyo Center for Economic Research, Tokyo University, Japan. (1994).
- SEW - EURODRIVE Foundation Visiting Professorship, Dresden, Germany (1996).
- Japanese Society for Promotion of Science Fellowship, Tokyo, Japan (2000).
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Prize for Outstanding Foreign Scientists (2002).
- Senior Fernando Baudei Fellowship, European University Institute, Florence (2010).
- The Megagrant Award,Ministry of Education, Russian Federation (2013).