Ph.D., University of California at San Diego
Umphrey Lee 301K
Thomas Osang joined the SMU faculty in 1994 after completing his Ph.D. at the University of California, San Diego. His research and teaching interests are in the area of international trade and finance as well as economic development. Among others, he has investigated theoretical and empirical links between international trade and economic growth, the impact of exchange rate volatility on trade, the quantitative contribution of globalization to U.S. wage inequality, and the empirical validity of political economy of trade policy models.
International Economics, Growth and Development
International Trade; Economic Development; Exchange Rates and International Capital Market; International Economic Policy; International Monetary Relations; Economic Growth; Principles of Microeconomics; Senior Seminar: Economics of Migration
- "Short and Long-Run Effects of Trade on Growth and Welfare," in Progress in Economics Research, A. Tavidze (ed.), Vol. 18, Nova Science: Hauppauge, NY, 2011.
- “Endogenous Mortality, Human Capital and Economic Growth” (with J. Sarkar), Journal of Macroeconomics, 30(4), 2008: 1423-1445.
- "Trade, Wages, and Specific Factors" (with I. Dasgupta), Review of International Economics, 15(1), 2007: 45-61.
- “Do State Borders Matter for U.S. Intranational Trade? The Role of History and Internal Migration” (with D. Millimet), Canadian Journal of Economics, 40(1), 2007: 93-126.
- "Protection for Sale: An Empirical Investigation: Comment," (with T. Eicher), American Economic Review, 95(5), 2002: 1702-1710.
- "Exchange-Rate Volatility and Foreign Trade: Evidence from Thirteen LDCs," (with A. Arize and D. Slottje), Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, 18(1), 2000: 10-17.
- "Differential Tariffs, Growth, and Welfare in a Small Open Economy," (with S. Turnovsky), Journal of Development Economics, 62, 2000: 315 -342.
- "Import Tariffs and Growth in a Small Open Economy," (with A. Pereira), in Journal of Public Economics, 60, 1996: 45-71.
- Altshuler Distinguished Teaching Professor Award, 2009
- M Award, 2002