||309 Fondren Science
|Department of Chemistry
|Southern Methodist University
|PO Box 750314
|Dallas, TX 75275-0314
[Prof. Wisian-Nielson's Home Page]
- Ph.D. University of Texas, Austin, 1976
The major research focus in our labs is the synthesis, characterization, and applications of both cyclic and polymeric phosphazenes. These inorganic materials consist of rings or linear chains of alternating nitrogen and phosphorus atoms. Our work focuses on the family of phosphazenes in which there are two substituents attached to each phosphorous atoms by direct P-C bonds. We prepare both the parent cyclic and polymeric phosphazenes from condensation reactions of N-silylphosphoranimines, Me3SiNP(OPh)RR1.
- Kraiter, D. C.; Wisian-Neilson, P; Zhang, C.; Crumbliss, A. L. "Synthesis and Redox Characterization of Phosphazene Terpolymers with Pendant Ferrocene Groups", Macromolecules 2012, 45, 3658-3668.
- Wisian-Nielson, P. "Polyphosphazenes from Condensation Polymerization", in Biomedical Applications of Polyphosphazenes, Alexander K. Andrianov, Ed., Wiley, New Jersey, 2009, Chapter 10, pp. 155-167.
- Kmecko, T.; Wang, X.; Wisian-Nielson, P. "Surface Chemical Modification of Poly(methylphenylphosphazene)" J. Inorg. Organomet. Polym. Mater. 2007, 17, 413-321.
- Cambre, J. N., Wisian-Nielson, P. "Poly(methylphenylphosphazene)-graft-Poly(methyl methacrylate) Copolymers via Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization" J. Inorg. Organomet. Polym. Mater. 2006, 16, 311-318.
- Wisian-Nielson, P; Jung, J.-H.; Potluri, S. K. "Cyclic and Polymeric Alkyl/Aryl Phosphazenes", ACS Symposium Series 917 "Modern Aspects of Main Group Chemistry", American Chemical Society: Washington, DC, 2006, pp. 335-346.
- Jung, J.-H.; Kmecko, T.; Claypool, C. L.; Zhang, H.; Wisian-Nielson, P. "Synthesis and Characterizations of Sulfur-Containing Nongeminal Cyclic and Polymeric Alkylarylphosphazenes", Macromolecules 2005, 38, 2122 - 2130.
- Jung, J.-H.; Potluri, S. K.; Zhang, H.; Wisian-Nielson, P. "Synthesis and Reactivity of Nongeminally Substituted Cyclic Phosphazenes with Haloalkyl and Thioester Groups", Inorg. Chem. 2004, 43, 7784 - 7791.
- Jung, J.-H.; Pomeroy, J. C.; Zhang, H.; Wisian-Nielson, P. "Isolation and Characterization of Nongeminal Cyclic Methylphenylphosphazene Tetramers" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2003, 125, 15537-15542.
- Chemistry for the Liberal Arts (CHEM 1301)
- General Chemistry (CHEM 1303/4)
- Advanced Inorganic Synthesis (CHEM 5192)
- Overview of Materials Chemistry (CHEM 6118)
President's Associates Outstanding Faculty Award, SMU, 2013
Perrine Prize (Phi Beta Kappa), 2013
H.O.P.E. Professor of the Year, SMU, 2012
W.T. Doherty Award of the American Chemical Society, DFW Section, 2006
Academy of Distinguished Teachers, SMU, 2005-2007
Altshuler Distinguished Teaching Professor, SMU, 2005