PhD, The Ohio State University
MBA, Cornell University
BS, Cornell University
Tom Selling has served on the faculties of Dartmouth College, Wake Forest University, MIT and is an emeritus professor of the Thunderbird Graduate School of Global Management. His research has been published in numerous outlets, including The Accounting Review, Accounting Horizons, and Financial Analysts’ Journal. He also co-authored two editions of the textbook, International Financial Reporting and Analysis: A Contextual Emphasis. He has served as the Academic Accounting Fellow at the SEC, on the PCAOB’s Standing Advisory Group and the AICPA’s Financial Accounting and Reporting Subcommittee for the CPA Examination.
- Author of The Accounting Onion (www.accountingonion.com), one of the most widely-read weblogs analyzing developments in financial reporting as they affect public companies.
- Leader of hundreds of management and professional education programs in 15 countries.
- Consultant to public companies and their advisors on matters including SEC compliance, U.S. GAAP, IFRS, operational and strategic decision making, and control of international operations.
- Expert witness services on a broad range of accounting topics, including foreign accounting standards, valuation and economic damages analysis.
- Co-founder (2002), president and majority beneficial owner of Grove Technologies, LLC (www.grovesite.com), producer of easy-to-use hosted, web-based collaboration tools for project management, issue tracking, discussion management, file archiving and general communications.
“Non-GAAP Financial Metrics: Why Accountants Should Care,” with Gregory Sommers, The CPA Journal, June 2016.
“On the Coexistence of Professionalism and Commercialism in CPA Firms: A Path Forward,” The CPA Journal, May 2015.
“The Problem of Management Bias in Accounting Estimates: An Investor Perspective on Root Causes and the Solution,” with Bo Nordlund, Business Horizons, Sep-Oct 2015.
"Bumps in the Road to IFRS Adoption: Is a U-turn Possible?" Accounting Horizons, March 2013.
ACCT 6412 Mergers and Acquisitions
ACCT 5317 Financial Accounting Theory