Being a manager is more than managing budgets and doing performance reviews – it is also being able to effectively engage employees to work towards a common goal. Successful managers pull from a wide range of skills, including interpersonal communication, conflict resolution, budgeting and team-building. Whether you’re a brand-new supervisor or a more experienced manager, SMU's Boss Boot Camp will give you the confidence, knowledge and skills you need to grow your management abilities and hone your soft skills in a low-risk environment. Upon successful completion of this eight-week program, you will receive the SMU Certificate of Supervision Best Practices.
Program fast facts
||Priority Rate (by Mar. 24): $1,999
Standard Rate: $2,249
||Fridays on the Dallas campus
9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Apr. 7 – Jun. 2, 2017
Download Five Mistakes Supervisors Make and Tips on How to Avoid Them.
Think back to the best manager you ever had. Was she the best because she was the best engineer you ever met, or because he could analyze and decode balance sheets and capital requirements, or because she could calculate complicated algorithms in their head, or because his excel skills were second to none? Likely not. The best managers and supervisors are usually those who pay attention to and master what is often referred to as "the soft skills."
Are you a newly appointed supervisor or manager who needs to get up to speed fast? Or have you been in this role for a while? Analyze where you are and what you need to do to become the kind of supervisor you want to be - and that your organization needs most - with this program.
In survey after survey, the top skills employers look for in their managers and the people they wish to grow into higher level roles are all related to communication, teamwork, demeanor, and initiative. Employers realize that it’s good soft skills that are really the hardest to find…and also the most important. This certificate program focuses on developing, practicing and mastering these essential soft skills necessary for all managers and supervisors to be successful.
Who Should Register?
- New managers and supervisors
- Experienced managers who want to add formal training and a certificate to their resumes
- Young managers and supervisors leading older team members
- Anyone whose performance is dependent on the performance of others
What are the Benefits?
- Learn what best practices in supervision are and how to apply them in your organization in an efficient eight week boot camp format.
- Low Risk: All courses are hands on and interactive allowing you to review, practice, and master soft skills in a low risk environment.
- Assessments: All core courses include self-assessments allowing you to determine where you are and how to get to where you want to be.
- Classroom format allows you to develop lasting professional relationships and receive individual attention from the instructors.
- Taught by practicing professionals, this program provides a thorough review of the principles and techniques that experienced managers use to lead teams to success.
Upon completion of the eight-week BOSS Boot Camp, you will receive a Certificate in Supervision Best Practices.
View upcoming course dates and register.
Contact a program advisor at 214.621.4834 or email@example.com if you have questions or would like more information.