Admission into the paralegal program requires a four-year undergraduate degree. This ensures that our paralegal certificate graduates are qualified for employment after they complete the program and prepared for the level of training offered at the SMU courses. Enrollments are accepted on an ongoing basis.
Paralegal Certificate Program Tuition
Tuition for the Certificate Program in Paralegal Studies is $5,495. This cost includes tuition, access to our online learning system, and all textbooks and materials. There is a $50 application fee before you submit your completed enrollment form along with a photocopy of your undergraduate transcript.
Program Entrance Requirement
Admission into the program requires a four-year undergraduate degree. This ensures that our graduates are qualified not only for employment after they graduate, but also prepared for the level of training offered at SMU. Additional requirements include, basic computing and word-processing skills, access to the internet (preferably high-speed), and an updated résumé.
To apply for the paralegal program, follow the steps below:
- Select the program of your choice, and submit your $50 application fee click here.
- Complete the enrollment form that you receive from your email confirmation and submit the form along with a photocopy or your undergraduate transcript or diploma via the methods listed on the enrollment form.
- SMU will confirm your acceptance and request that you pay for the program of your choice.
SMU faculty, staff, students, and alumni save an additional 10%! Total Cost: $4,945
Financing Options for the Paralegal Certificate
SMU has a relationship with Sallie Mae for their Smart Options Continuing Education Student Loan. To apply for this loan and enroll in the Paralegal Certificate program follow the steps below:
: Your requested loan amount cannot exceed the program tuition)
- Apply for the loan through our official portal on the Sallie Mae website. You will receive your decision in less than 30 minutes after applying for the loan. If you are approved for the loan please continue to the next step:
- Download and complete the enrollment form and fax or email it to the CAPE office. The fax number and email address are on the form.
- Create your student account here. When you get to the payment screen you can close out of the system as your tuition will be paid by your Sallie Mae loan check which will be sent to the CAPE office.
- You will receive an award letter from the CAPE and a registration email confirming your enrollment in the program.
You may also complete the online registration form and submit a credit card for payment here.
Admission into the program requires a four-year undergraduate degree. This ensures that our graduates are qualified not only for employment after they graduate, but also prepared for the level of training offered at SMU. Additional requirements include, basic computing and word-processing skills, access to the internet (preferably high-speed), and an updated résumé. If you are currently employed in the legal field and you have questions about whether you can meet our requirements, please contact us.
Paralegal Certificate Program Policies
All course textbooks and course materials are included in the tuition price.
Students must enroll before attending courses in this program. Instructors cannot accept enrollment fees. SMU reserves the right to substitute instructors, change course locations, cancel courses, adjust curricula or schedules, or limit enrollment.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Notification of any intent to withdraw from a course must be submitted to the Associate Director in writing via e-mail, fax, or mail. Failure to withdraw will result in forfeiture of course fees. Students may withdraw from a course 10 business days before the first scheduled class session. A $25 cancellation fee will be withheld from tuition; the balance will be refunded. Should SMU cancel a course, full tuition will be refunded. No refunds are permitted after a course begins. Students may transfer to an upcoming course in lieu of withdrawing; this supersedes the $25 cancellation fee.