Paralegals are an essential part of the successful practice of law. The SMU Certificate in Paralegal Studies is a six month, noncredit certificate program designed to give an overview of the profession with an emphasis on practical skills. All modules are taught by carefully selected and experienced professionals who share their knowledge and expertise.
Program fast facts
||January 31 – August 15, 2015
Saturdays on the SMU Dallas campus
April 14 – October 1, 2015
Evenings on the SMU-in-Plano campus
FREE Informational Video!
Watch our free on-demand information video about the Paralegal Studies Certificate Program.
Who Should Register?
- Legal Staff who want to enhance their skills
- People seeking knowledge of the paralegal profession
- Students considering law school
What are the Benefits?
Learn from expert instructors: Each course is taught by a practicing professional - attorneys and paralegals - who are experts in their fields with real-world experience.
Get up to Speed: Complete the Program in about six months
Flexible Schedule: Evening and weekend options are available on the Dallas and Plano campuses to fit with your busy life.
Complete these six courses to earn your certificate:
- Introduction to Law
- Tort and Personal Injury Law
- Legal Research and Writing
- Civil Litigation
- Contract Law
- Survey of Law
Additionally, two sessions of Career Preparation provide information on the legal workplace, resume writing, and more.
Upcoming Paralegal Studies Certificate Programs
|Paralegal Certificate Program - Dallas Campus
January 31 - July 25, 2015
This cohort meets Saturdays
Get started on your Certificate in Paralegal Studies!
- Confirm you meet the minimum program requirements.
- Attend a free online information session. Offered in an on-demand format, the information session is packed with information about SMU’s program and the paralegal industry.
- Choose your program and enroll. SMU’s Paralegal Certificate program is offered at the Dallas, Texas campus in both weekend and evening formats to fit your busy schedule.