The instructions for configuring your phone to retrieve your SMU email vary slightly depending on the phone model. However, the email settings are the same no matter which device you have.
General Configuration Information
Server Name : webmail.smu.edu
If the phone prompts for a Username, Password, and Domain:
Password: Your SMU Access.SMU Password
If the phone prompts for only a Username and Password:
Username: SMUIDfirstname.lastname@example.org (Ex: email@example.com)
Password: Your Access.SMU Password
iPhone, iPads and other iOS Devices
*The wireless connection needs to be off on the iPhone's configuration settings or it needs to be connected to a secure network, such as PerunaNet (on campus.) It may also help to turn wireless off and back on again to regain the correct connection to PerunaNet.
- From the main screen, click on Settings.
- Click on Mail, Contacts, and Calendars.
- Click on Add Account.
- Then Select Microsoft Exchange
- Then enter the following information:
Email: Enter your SMU email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Password: SMU Password.
- Then click Next, you will be prompted for the email server address, enter: webmail.smu.edu
- After clicking Next, you can then select the information you would like to pull down from the server. (Mail, Contacts, Calendar)
*This means the email, contacts, and calendar information that is on webmail.smu.edu will be shown on your phone in the appropriate application.
- After selecting your options, click Save.
- Click Settings
- Go to Accounts and Sync
- Click Add Account
- Select Corporate (MS Exchange)
- Enter your Email address and Password
- Click Next
- It will automatically attempt to configure the phone, but will fail. It will fill in several fields that need to be corrected
- Domain\Username: SMU\SMUID. (If those two fields are listed separately, the domain is SMU. The username is your SMU ID number)
- Exchange Server: webmail.smu.edu
- Use Secure connection should be checked
- Click Next
- Click Finish
*If the account setup is successful, but the android device does not sync, please contact the Help Desk. There is a temporary workaround for these particular devices due to a compatibility issue with the Exchange 2010 servers.
Active Sync (Windows Mobile Phones)
- On the Main Applications screen, click on Active Sync.
- Click menu.
- Select Add New Server Source.
- Enter webmail.smu.edu as the server name
- If you are prompted to enter an SMU ID number, password, and domain, enter the following: Username: SMUID Number
Password: SMU Password
- If you are prompted to enter only an SMU ID number and password, enter the following:
Username: SMUIDnumber@smu.edu, (email@example.com)
Password: your SMU password.
If your Blackberry device support Exchange, follow these settings:
- Click New Email Setup
- Username should be your email address and then enter your SMU Password.
- The setup will FAIL! That is expected. There should then be an option to provide the settings manually.
- Choose Outlook Exchange for the email type
- Server: https://webmail.smu.edu
- Username: smu\smuid#
- Mailbox Name: email alias (first part of your email address)
- Password: your email password
**Blackberry devices may be configured online. Please visit the website of the cell phone carrier (sprint, verizon etc). You will need to login using your Blackberry username and password and then you can configure the account to retrieve your SMU email. You may also configure email on your device as outlined below.
- On the main applications windows, you will need to click on the Email Setup icon.
- You will then need to accept the User Agreement to configure the device. Click Agree.
- You will be prompted to enter your email address and password. For the email address enter your SMU ID number in email format. (For example: firstname.lastname@example.org),
Enter your SMU password.
- Then once the email account is activated, you can click on the Edit button. All areas where SMUID@smu.edu is located, you will need to change to your actual email address. Except for the username/password combination.
- Click Save and close out of the setup process.
- At the main applications window, you will see a second mail icon, next to messages. This mail icon will contain only the activation email, a few minutes later the rest of your SMU email will follow into the Inbox.
The Blackberry phone can be configured either through the Smartphone or through online services provided by the service provider. You will find a list of links to email setup for the Blackberry. Click on the service provider of your phone.