There are several teams dedicated to providing technical support and on site assistance for the SMU community. If you need assistance from any of our teams, don't hesitate to contact the IT Help Desk! We look forward to serving you.
IT Help Desk
The Office of Information Technology provides a number of resources to help answer your technology questions and provide guidance when seeking a technology solution.
The Help Desk is located in the Fondren Library West lobby, adjacent to the Collaborative Commons and Starbucks Café.
Semester Hours *
|Monday through Thursday:
||8:00 AM – 9:00 PM
||8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
||9:00 AM – 5:00 PM*
*Walk-in hours begin at noon.
||11:00 AM – 8:00 PM
|Monday through Thursday:
|| 8 AM – 9 PM
|| 8 AM – 6 PM
|Saturday and Sunday:
||12 PM – 6 PM
* Semester Hours begin the first day of class and end on the last day of exams.
Contact the Help Desk
Classroom Emergency Support
Please phone 214-768-8888 to request assistance.
The Help Desk provides support to the entire campus community. In addition to supporting current faculty, staff and students, the Help Desk provides limited assistance to retirees, parents and prospective students. The Help Desk consists of five full time employees. All of the Help Desk staff are HDI certified and are committed to providing exceptional service.
The Help Desk is available to answer questions regarding any of the services that IT provides and any of the software applications that we support. They are able to assist with network configurations, software troubleshooting and training, email support and configuration, and more. The Help Desk staff uses remote tools as well as a shared knowledge base to help provide resolutions to reported issues as quickly as possible. All requests for assistance are documented in the Help Desk software. If the Help Desk is unable to resolve the issue, the ticket will be routed to the appropriate IT technician for resolution. The Help Desk makes every effort to respond to each request the same day it is received.
Service Level Agreements
In order to ensure that your requests for assistance are handled in a timely manner, service level agreements have been configured in the help desk software. Each help request is assigned a priority based on the severity of the request. The "clock" starts running the minute the request is opened. As each threshold is exceeded, additional notifications are sent to the assignee to ensure that each help request is resolved appropriately. The default SLA and thresholds appear below (business hours are calculated as 8-5 Monday through Friday).
- Emergency: 4 hour target turn around
- High: 9 hour turn around
- Medium: 24 hour target turnaround
- Low: 1 week target turnaround time
The Help Desk Staff includes
- Lauren Nelson: HDI Certified Analyst, Help Desk Manager
- Gina Benavides: HDI Certified Analyst, Apple Support Center Certified, MOS Excel
- Janet Asberry: HDI Certified Analyst, Apple Support Center Certified, MOS Outlook
- Jonathan Bull: HDI Certified Analyst
- Margaret Dew: HDI Certified Analyst
- Shanta Ball: HDI Certified Analyst, Certified Apple Care Service Provider
- Byron Craig: HDI Certified Analyst
SMU Classrooms are equipped with a wide range of technology resources to assist in teaching.
- Emergency support as well as training is available whenever classes are in session.
- If classroom help is needed, please call 8-8888 and a technician will be dispatched immediately.
- For training or to report problems with the equipment, please submit a request via the Online Support Center.
- Available equipment and instructions are listed by room on the Classroom List page.
- Call is placed to 8-8888 or by pressing the AV Help Button (Cox Business School Only)
- Call is answered by either full time help desk staff or our student worker team located in FLW
- Location, issue and ID number is gathered. Call is ended so that the faculty member can resume teaching.
- Individual then radios a team of 17 people with the issue
- A consultant from either the AV team or the Desktop team who is available and nearest in location will acknowledge the call and report to the location
- A ticket is opened and routed to the consultant answering the dispatch
- The issue in the room is resolved and the consultant leaves the location
- The ticket is closed
- A survey is sent to the requestor. Feedback is compiled and shared with ECOM and the Academic Technology Council.
If the reported issue requires maintenance, the ticket will be routed to the appropriate team for rapid resolution. The team will deploy temporary equipment if possible while the maintenance is being scheduled.
Event Services and Support
An event is defined as any gathering requiring AV support outside of a regularly scheduled class. This includes lectures and meetings held in classrooms outside of a scheduled class time. In order to provide the best support possible for your event, we ask that you complete the request form located at http://www.smu.edu/OIT/Services/AVServices 5 days prior to your event. If you do not provide 5 day notice, we will do our best to accommodate the request but can not guarantee coverage. If you are booking a room in Hughes Trigg, please use their reservation form.
Please note: we do not provide AV Event support services off campus. If you are hosting a meeting at an alternate venue, please utilize the AV services offered by that venue.
- Audio services (microphones, sound systems, audio players)
- Video services (projectors, displays)
- Video Recording/Editing Service
- In order to meet the needs of both the classroom AV and Event AV services, we no longer offer the AV editing service. This was a very time consuming service and required higher end equipment. We can offer a limited recording service. However, it will not be professional grade video. If you plan to publish the video on your website or use it in promotional material, that work will need to be contracted out. We can recommend a few preferred vendors if you are interested.
- We can offer a camera that will shoot a wide shot of the event. Please be sure to request this service early so we can arrange the staffing. When the event is over we will give you the raw footage to use at your discretion.
There are a number of different locations across campus equipped with a variety of AV gear. If your event requires AV equipment, please reserve a room that is already equipped whenever possible. If you need assistance in locating a room that best meets your event needs, please contact us!
Our team will meet you prior to the event to verify that all equipment is setup correctly and working. We typically do not assign a staff member to stay throughout the event. Emergency assistance is available during the event by calling 214-768-8888.
AV services are available without a fee for SMU internal events (majority of the attendees are SMU faculty, staff or students). Events where more than 50% of the attendees are non SMU faculty, staff or students may be subject to a support charge. If these events are hosted in a location with built in equipment, no charge will be assessed. If additional equipment and support is required, the estimated charges will be communicated prior to the event.
Room Setup/Furniture moves
Furniture moves and room setup should be requested through facilities.