Information about Parent / Authorized Person accounts at SMU.
Parents or Authorized Persons may have different types of accounts associated with SMU and making payments:
- Access.SMU account – can view student information including grades, class schedules, account summaries, financial aid, etc. (cannot make payments with this account).
- SMUpay Account – can view bills and make payments through the third party payment system SMUpay.
- TuitionPay Acccount – This type of account is only used to process Predefined Payment Plans and Refunds that you have signed up for with SallieMae TuitionPay.
Parents or Authorized Persons of SMU students may have an account setup for them to review specific details about their student’s information in Access.SMU. This information may include Class Schedules, Grades, Account Summary Information, Financial Aid information, etc. The permissions to view this information are provided by the student and result in the parent / authorized person having their own account to login to Access.SMU. The username is an 8 digit ID # and the parent or authorized person will need to set a password for their account. Passwords can be set at smu.edu/activate using a PIN number provided by the student that requested the account. This account logs into Access.SMU only, it does not log into the payment system used to make online payments.
Passwords for Access.SMU accounts expire every 180 days. If you are experiencing trouble with your password you can go to our password tool at pwreset.smu.edu/ and try changing your password.
It is also recommended that you enroll in the password tool to setup security questions for your account. In the event that you forget your password or your account gets locked out you can answer the security questions and reset your password online.
Additional assistance for Access.SMU account passwords can be obtained by calling the IT Help Desk at 214-768-4357. We cannot send password information via email for security reasons.
Parents or Authorized Persons are not able to make changes to student’s accounts such as purchase or change Campus Essentials for students or Waive Insurance for a student. These need to be handled by the student themselves.
Payments are not made within Access.SMU. There is a link from within Access.SMU to our Bursar Webpay site, where payments can be made as a Guest Payer or an Authorized Payer using SMUpay.
- Payments can be made using the Guest Payer option found on the Bursar’s Webpay page. Here the person making the payment needs to know the balance due and if that balance is on the Student Account or Miscellaneous Account. The details of what is due can be found within Access.SMU Account Summary details. Guest Payers can choose to use an Electronic Bank Draft or a Credit Card (there is a convenience fee for the credit cards).
- Payments can be made and bills can be viewed if a person logs in to SMUpay as an Authorized Payer. An Authorized payer can be setup by the student and the information on how to login will be provided via email. Authorized Payer accounts are usually Alphanumeric (not the same as the 8 Digit ID# used to log into Access.SMU). Once setup as an Authorized Payer, a person can login to SMUpay from the Bursar’s Webpage. Here they will be able to view bills and make payments. If you cannot remember the login credentials for SMUpay, there are links on the SMUpay login page for Forgot Username and Forgot Password.
SMU Monthly Payment Plan Options
SMU offers several monthly payment plans. Please refer to the Bursar’s Office website for detailed information - http://www.smu.edu/EnrollmentServices/Bursar/Payments/PaymentPlanOptions