About Network Storage
OIT provides several types of network storage: mapped network drives accessed through the domain, Inside.SMU, and locker.smu.edu. Domain network drives are available only to faculty, staff and student workers.
Inside.SMU offers secure, web based filed storage, sharing and collaboration for faculty and staff only at this time.
offers secure, web based file storage, sharing and collaboration. Personal locker accounts are created automatically. Departmental locker spaces are available by request.
Domain Network Drives
There are a number of different network drives provided and managed by OIT. These drives can only be accessed with SMU credentials (can not be accessed by a guest).
- U drive: personal file storage space available to all faculty and staff. Allows for 500MB of storage accessed by the individual employee only.
- V drive: Departmental storage space. Folders allow individual members within a specific department to store and share information. This is not designed for cross departmental storage or sharing.
- T drive: Designed for cross departmental storage and sharing for various Teams.
- Q drive: Used primarily by SMU Financial users
- L drive: Used for Building Managers and disaster recovery information
- Other drives are available for limited use
U drive space is created for each faculty and staff member during the intial account creation process. All other network drive access must be requested by the employee's supervisor through the Online Support Center.
Accessing the network drives
For windows computers on campus, the drives should map automatically when logging in to the domain. Macs and non domain computers will have to map these drives manually. These drives are only available from the SMU network. Off campus access is granted only through securenet.smu.edu.
For information on manually mapping a network drive, please login to the Online Support Center and search for the knowledge base entry. For security reasons, these instructions are not available on the public website.