Lync is an integrated communication service. Currently, this service provides Enterprise Instant Messaging, Presence and Desktop Conferencing for faculty and staff. Lync offers the following functionality.
- Secure enterprise IM client to quickly and safely communicate with SMU Faculty and Staff
- Ability to create groups of contacts and IM the entire group
- Ability to transition to a desktop sharing conference or a video conference
- Ability to view presence of contacts to know when they are avilable for communication
- Ability to view presence and use a built in IM client in Webmail.smu.edu
- Ability to save IM conversations to Outlook for future reference
The Lync client is available for all faculty and staff to install on their SMU computer.
To ensure the security of our Lync environment, OIT has implemented a policy which blocks access using older clients. These include Office Communicator for Windows and Mac, plus versions of Lync client which are more than one revision behind the most recent available version.
If you have Communicator installed on your workstation, please uninstall it and follow the instructions on this page to install Lync Client.
NOTE: If you receive a message that you are using an earlier version of Lync Client 2010 on windows that is not compatible, please use Windows Update to upgrade to the latest version.
For Windows computers (office)
- Right click on the My Computer icon and select Properties
- Determine if your computer is running a 32B or 64B version of Windows
- Click Start--Programs--LANDesk Management-- Landesk Software Deployment Portal
- Both version of the Lync client will be visible on the Portal. Click Deploy next to the correct version for your Operating System
- Run Windows Updates before logging into the client.
For Windows computers (home or personal) and for Lyle and Cox Employees
- Click on the following link to access the installer stored on Locker. Remember use the first part of your email address as the username and your SMU password when prompted.
NOTE: Once you have installed the Lync software, if you receive a message that you are using an earlier version of Lync Client 2010 on windows that is not compatible, please use Windows Update to upgrade to the latest version.
For Mac Computers (office and home)
SMU now provides support for Lync Mobile clients. Clients are available for Android, iPhone/iPad, and Windows Mobile devices. More information plus download links can be found here.
For Android, and Windows mobile devices, you must provide your sign-in ID (email@example.com), user name (SMU\[8-digit ID] – this can be found in the Options menu), and password.
For IOS devices, the sign in format is SMUID@smu.edu (ex firstname.lastname@example.org) and your account password.
The following features are not enabled at this time
- Sending Files in an instant message. This feature will be made available once antivirus protection in in place for IM Traffic
- Phone calls to non Lync/Communicator clients