In order to upload files to the server, you must have a FTPS client (An FTP client that transmits over anExplicit SSL/TLS protocol). This client is included in Microsoft Web Expressions by default. All other applications will have to install a separate FTP client to upload/download files. We recommend installing CyberDuck as it is compatible with both the Mac and Windows Platform.
To download Cyberduck, go to http://cyberduck.ch
For Linux computers, we recommend using FileZilla. Visit http://filezilla-project.org/download.php to download the software.
Please note: FileZilla is not currently compatible with sites.smu.edu.
Configuring Cyberduck to connect to your website
- Launch Cyberduck
- Click File
- Click Open Connection
- Enter the following:
- Set the drop down menu to FTP-SSL (Explicit Auth TLS)
- Servername: people.smu.edu or faculty.smu.edu
- Username: your SMU ID number
- Password: Your SMU password
- Click the arrow to display "More Options"
- Enter your email alias in the Path field (i.e. cuser)
- Select Passive (PASV) as the connect mode
- Click Connect
Configuring FileZilla to connect to your website
- Launch FileZilla
- Click the File Menu
- Select Site Manager
- Click the New Site button
- Set the Host to faculty.smu.edu or people.smu.edu
- The port number can be left blank
- Set the Protocol field to "FTP-file transfer protocol"
- Choose Exclicit FTP over TLS as the encryption type
- For Logon type, select "ask for password"
- Set User as SMUID number
- Click the Advanced tab
- In the Default remote directory field, enter /username (ex: /cuser)
- Then choose Connect
- Enter your password when prompted
- If you get an Unknown certificate error, click OK
Editing your Site
There are three basic steps to editing and publishing your website.
- Download a local copy of the file you wish to edit onto your computer using the FTPS utility.
- Edit the webpage using your preferred web authoring tool (Dreamweaver, Sharepoint Designer etc). Save your changes to the file stored on your computer
- Upload the revised page to the server using an FTPS utility
- Launch Cyberduck or FileZilla.
- Locate the file you wish to edit
- Double click on the file to download it to your computer. If you wish to specify the download location, click the arrow next to the action icon and select Download To.
- Open the file from your computer using your preferred web authoring tool.
- Make all changes as needed and Save
- Launch Cyberduck or FileZilla and connect to your site
- Drag and Drop the file you wish to upload or
- Click the Upload icon
- Navigate to the page(s) you wish to publish
- Click Choose (**please note, if you use the Upload feature on the Windows client, the file extensions must be displayed)
- Verify that your content published successfully to the server