ExamSoft is an exam management software that allows faculty to administer an exam online while blocking access from those devices to the internet or other resources. During the exam period, the computer or iPad is restricted to accessing the test only. The device can not communicate with the internet or run other applications (unless permitted). Once the test is submitted, all communications and programs are then unlocked. The test itself is fully encrypted and can only be read using the SofTest client application. The other benefit of this product is the ability to link specific questions with various learning outcomes and provide robust reporting on those outcomes.
Visit ExamSoft's product Overview Page to learn more about ExamSoft, SofTest, and SofTest-M and how they all work together.
Integration with Courses.SMU
A custom building block has been configured in Courses.SMU to import all students enrolled in those specific classes to also be enrolled in the correct course within ExamSoft. Grades recording in ExamSoft can also be transferred to the Grade Center in Courses.SMU.
Students will be notified by their instructor if they will be completing an exam using this software. The username is your SMU ID number. This system, however, does not use your SMU Password! A unique password is assigned to you during the initial setup process. To reset that password, visit examsoft.com/smu and click on the Forgot Password link.
Reminders Before an Exam
- Ensure your device is fully charged! Typically power adapter/outlets are not available during your test. Ensure that your device has plenty of battery life to last for the duration of your exam.
- Download and install the SofTest application before arriving. The software is available here.
- Download the test prior to your arrival. You will not be able to open the test until the exam time has begun.
- Ensure that any pending software updates have been installed so those do not interrupt your test. Also verify that the date and time on your computer are set appropriately.
For online support for ExamSoft, visit the ExamSoft Support Center.
ExamSoft and SLO Assessment
ExamSoft and its student testing software, SofTest, pair up to offer a secure and offline test environment. Exam questions can range from true/false to essay, and be administered on paper (using bubble sheets) or digitally with each student bringing a laptop or iPad. ExamSoft returns robust test item and student achievement analysis correlated with designated student learning outcomes, and could be a good fit for instructors who need a secure and reliable way to measure student learning outcomes with sets of test questions.
What You Need to Do to Adopt
All Digital Use
(Students use laptops and iPads)
- Three (3) one-hour training sessions with ES trainer.
- Four to five week period before first use of the software for testing.
- Schedule a very brief mock exam to make sure students’ technology works correctly.
Digital & Paper
(Students use paper exams and bubble sheets)
- Three (3) one-hour training sessions with ES trainer.
- Four to five week period before first exam.
- Use SMU Central Scanning Service that’s set up to work with ExamSoft.
Sign Up for ExamSoft
Interested in beginning? Then visit the SMU Assessment and Accreditation Website and fill out the Request Form.
For online support for ExamSoft, visit the ExamSoft Support Center
. Have questions about ExamSoft and whether it is right for you? Contact Bradley Boeke at email@example.com
or Patty Alvey at firstname.lastname@example.org
Minimum System Requirements
SofTest-M iPad Requirements
- Hardware = iPad 2, 3, 4 and iPad Mini
- Operating System = iOS 6 and iOS 7 Only genuine versions of iOS are supported.
- iPads must have 50% charge to commence a Secure Exam
- iPad must not be ‘Jail Broken’
- To receive support, you must be able to connect the iPad to a computer with iTunes installed
- In order to take an exam using SofTest-M, your institution must first enable this product and create exams that are compatible with your iPad.
SofTest can be used on virtually any modern computer (i.e. purchased within the last 3-4 years). Specific system requirements are noted below.
SofTest cannot be used on virtual operating systems such as Microsoft's Virtual Machine, Parallels, VMware, VMware Fusion or any other virtual environments, unless approved by the institution.
- CPU = 2GHz Intel® Core™/Celeron™ or equivalent x86 processor
- RAM = highest recommended for the operating system or 2GB
- Hard Drive = highest recommended for the operating system or 1 GB of free space.
- Operating System = English 32-bit Versions of Windows XP, 32-bit and 64-bit Versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. Only genuine versions of Windows Operating Systems are supported.
- ExamSoft does not support Tablet-PC's
- Internet connection for SofTest Installation, Exam Download and Upload
- Screen Resolution must be 1024x768 or higher
- Administrator level account permissions
- Adobe Reader (Version 9 or 11) is required for exams containing PDF attachments.
- CPU = Intel processor
- RAM = 2 GB
- Hard Drive = 1 GB or higher free disk space
- Operating System = Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion), and Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion). Only genuine versions of Mac Operating Systems are supported.
- Server version of Mac OS X is not supported
- SofTest may not be used in a virtual operating systems
- Software = Internet connection for SofTest Installation, Exam Download and Upload
- Administrator level account permissions (Instructions)