Preventing Workplace Violence at SMU
Reporting Violence, Threats, or Concerns
SMU is committed to providing a safe workplace that is free from violence or threats of violence. The prevention of workplace violence is a responsibility we all share. SMU Policy requires all employees to report any violent or potentially violent behavior. Reports will be evaluated by the Workplace Violence Assessment Team. This team will identify and evaluate emerging threats, and make recommendations for action.
The University will take seriously all reports of threats and take action to mitigate or eliminate the threat.
To Report A Concern:
Call 911 or 214-768-3333 (SMU Police Department).
Immediate threats include situations in which a person or property is in direct danger of violent behavior or destruction.
If you have any doubt regarding the nature of a threat or believe immediate action is needed, call the SMU Police Department at 911 or 214-768-3333.
The SMU Police Department will assess and refer issues to members of the Workplace Violence Assessment Team as needed. Calls to 911 made on campus will be directed to the SMU Police Dispatch. Calls made from cell phone will be directed to the police station nearest to the receiving cell tower.
Call 214-768-THREAT, Complete an Online Form, or Send an Email
If immediate help is not necessary, behaviors or situations of concern that may escalate and become dangerous should be reported to the Workplace Violence Assessment Team.
Report via Telephone: 214-768-8473
- You will be asked to elave a detailed voicemail.
- Message Center voicemails will be checked daily Monday-Friday.
- Secure messaging center is accessible only by the Assessment Team.
- Reporting is confidential and you have the option to provide your contact information (no caller id).
- Answer the questions to the best of your ability and provide as much detail as possible.
- Responses will be reviewed daily Monday-Friday.
- You have the option to provide your contact information.
- Reporting is confidential
- Provide as much detail as possible.
- Submissions will be reviewed daily Monday-Friday.
- Reporting is confidential.