Southern Methodist University is committed to providing a safe workplace that is free from violence or threats of violence. This commitment is fundamental to our mission of teaching, research, and service. The University takes seriously all reports of threats and will engage the necessary expertise to mitigate or eliminate the threat. It is the policy of SMU that all University employees are required to report any violent or potentially violent behavior.
Two types of threats should be reported:
• Imminent threats must be immediately reported to the SMU Police Department at
214-768-3333 or 911;
• Emerging threats, when a situation could become violent, should be reported to the Workplace Violence Assessment Team. Reports will be reviewed daily Monday through Friday. Various methods of reporting may be utilized:
1. Leave a confidential voicemail (no caller ID) at 214-768-8473
2. Complete the online reporting form
3. Email your concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org
SMU’s new Workplace Violence Assessment Team has two major responsibilities:
• Identify and evaluate threats
• Make recommendations to the appropriate University officials
Learn more about the process at smu.edu/workplaceviolence.
Workplace violence prevention is a responsibility we all share. Thank you for your support of this important community undertaking. My best wishes to you for a safe and productive year.
SMU Policy 10.12
Note: You must be logged into an SMU computer to review SMU Policies.