- Log into Access.smu and click on Manager Self-Service.
- Locate the 90-Day Probationary Review.
- You will be presented with a list of your employees who are eligible for a probationary review.
- Find the employee who is due for a review and click his/her name to begin the process.
- If you have more than one employee to review, you may need to click "next employee" to load a new form.
You will be asked to choose between two categories of performance, "Meeting Expectations," or "Not Meeting Expectations." If you have any performance concerns, you are encouraged to choose the latter option. Human Resources will then be able to consult with you more effectively regarding your options.
If you choose "Not Meeting Expectations," be prepared to spend 15-30 minutes answering the remaining questions on the review form.
If your employee is meeting expectations, you simply choose "Meeting Expectations" via a drop-down box on the form, and the review is complete.
If performance declines between the day you submit the review form and the 90th day of employment, send an email to email@example.com or call 214-768-3311 and ask to speak to a member of the Employee Relations Team. Remember, Human Resources will need adequate time to process your request and provide assistance before the 90th day, so contact HR with any concerns or questions regarding the Probationary Review Process as soon as possible.
Not Meeting Expectations
If you indicate that your employee is "Not Meeting Expectations," please be prepared to explain the performance issue, what you have done to address the issue, and the type of assistance, if any, you are requesting from Human Resources.
- Gather any performance notes and documentation of coaching conversations that may help you describe the issues more fully. Be prepared to spend 15-30 minutes completing the Probationary Review Form.
- If you are unable to complete the form immediately, please log out and return when you have time and the information needed to complete the form. All remaining questions must be completed in one sitting.
- You may wish to prepare to complete the remaining section of the Probationary Review Form by answering the questions ahead of time and copying your answers into the Probationary Review Form in Access.SMU. Use the link to the right to preview the questions.
Probation Options for Managers
As the manager, you may request one of the three following options:
- Extension of the probationary period
- Termination of employment
- Provide coaching for the employee (on your own or with HR support)
Each of these options must be approved by Human Resources. Use the links to the right to learn more about each of these options.