Mobile mammography offers a convenient opportunity for eligible employees to obtain a mammogram through mobile units provided by Methodist Hospital or UT Southwestern Medical Center. Typically the Methodist mobile unit is scheduled to visit in the fall on main campus and the UT Southwestern unit is scheduled in the spring on east campus.
Guidelines for Mammogram Screenings
- The mobile unit is designed for routine screening only. If you have any known breast problems, please consult your physician.
- Screening is recommended for women age 40 and older. Check the BCBSTX Preventive Care Guidelines for more information.
- Most insurance plans, including Medicare, cover the cost of screening once a year.
Benefit Coverage for Employees in the SMU Health Plan
As an added benefit to SMU employees covered by the Health and Wellness medical plan administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX), SMU covers all routine annual mammogram charges for women age 40 and above. Please have your insurance information available when you call. BCBSTX will process the claim and SMU will pay it at 100%. Coverage under SMU’s medical plan is not limited to the mobile unit. Should you prefer to receive your screening from another medical provider, the cost will still be covered at 100%.
Also, keep in mind that age 40 is a recommended guideline. It is important that you talk to your doctor about family members who have had breast cancer. If your doctor decides that it is necessary to order a “preventive” mammogram earlier or more frequently than recommended, the mammogram will still be paid in full, if administered by a doctor or medical facility participating in the BCBSTX network.
Benefit Coverage for Employees NOT Covered Under the SMU Health Plan
You do not have to be a participant in the SMU Health and Wellness Plan to schedule your mammogram with the mobile unit. When you call to schedule your appointment, you should inform the scheduler of this and inquire about other billing arrangements.
Fall Schedule for Methodist Mobile Unit
||November 12, 2013
In front of the Health Center
A payment of approximately $288.05 will be due at the time of service in the form of cash, check, Visa or MasterCard.
Information Needed When You Call For Your Appointment
- Personal information (age, DOB, Social Security number etc…)
- Insurance information
- If you are covered by your spouse’s medical plan, they will also need your spouse’s name, date of birth, and social security number
- Doctor’s name, mailing address, phone number -- if you want a report sent to your doctor
- Emergency contact name and phone number
- When and where you had your last mammogram
- Please let the scheduler know if you have had breast augmentation