- If you are getting married, decide if it makes sense to add your spouse to your SMU coverage or if you should cancel your SMU coverage and enroll in your spouse's employer plans.
- If you wish to add coverage, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org within 31 days of the date of your event. Please include the date of your event in your email.
- If you are divorced or your marriage is annulled, you must cancel your ex-spouse's coverage as of the date of the event (i.e., the date legal documents are signed). He/she has a right to continue coverage under COBRA.
- When you are cancelling coverage, send an email to email@example.com within 31 days of the date of your event. Please include the date of your event in your email.
- Re-evaluate your other Insurance needs and make changes as appropriate.
- Be sure to update your beneficiary designations for Basic and Supplemental Group Life and AD&D Insurance, as applicable.
- You can update your 403(b) Retirement Plan beneficiary designations by signing in to your account at smu.divinvest.com. Click Account Information -> Beneficiary Information.
- Review your tax withholding information and make any necessary changes via Access Self-Service. Please contact the Payroll Office at extension 8-2073 if you have any questions.
- If you are changing your name you must provide a copy of your new Social Security card to the Benefits Office before your name can be changed in SMU systems. You must also provide a copy of your marriage license to your 403(b) investment company, or in the event of a divorce, a copy of the divorce decree or Qualified Domestic Relations Order.
Life Events Quick Links
Faculty and Staff Eligibility Quick Links
Can't find what you need?