Who is eligible?
The TexShare program allows students, faculty, and staff of other Texas colleges and universities to borrow SMU library materials. For a list of participating institutions, see the TexShare website.
A valid TexShare card from the borrower's institution and a photo ID are required to establish an account at SMU and borrow materials. Only TexShare cards with a future expiration date, an authorizing signature, and a personal identification number will be honored.
Eligible patrons will be given an SMU Libraries Guest Borrower card, which must be presented with the TexShare card when checking out materials. Guest Borrower cards issued at Bridwell Library are also valid at the SMU Central University Libraries; they are not valid at the Underwood Law Library.
Once the TexShare card expires, the patron must obtain a new TexShare card from the home institution in order to renew borrowing privileges at SMU.
TexShare patrons are not eligible to place hold/recall requests or to receive interlibrary loan services.
* for regular, circulating books
- Faculty/Staff: 3 weeks
- Graduate Students: 3 weeks
- Undergraduate Students: 3 weeks
- Public Library Patrons: 3 weeks
Please note that all materials are subject to recall which may shorten the loan period after the item is checked out.
- Faculty/Staff: 5
- Graduate Students: 5
- Undergraduate Students: 1
- Public Library Patrons: 1
New Books & Audiovisual Materials
- Faculty/Staff: 2
- Graduate Students: 2
- Undergraduate Students: no renewal
- Public Library Patrons: no renewal
Materials can be renewed online at http://libcat.smu.edu or can be presented at the Bridwell Circulation Desk for renewal.
- Faculty/Staff: 10 items
- Graduate Students: 10 items
- Undergraduate Students: 5 items
- Public Library Patrons: 5 items
- Regular circulating items & new books: $1.00 per item per day
- Two-hour reserve items: $1.00 per item per hour
- One-day reserve items: $3.00 per item per day
- Audiovisual items: $2.00 per item per day
- Recalled items: $1.00 per item per day, ($2.00 for audiovisual items)