The Elizabeth Perkins Prothro Galleries
Since 1990, The Elizabeth Perkins Prothro Galleries have served as the major showplace for Bridwell Library Special Collections. Charles N. Prothro (1918-2001) funded the construction of the galleries in honor of his wife Elizabeth Perkins Prothro (1919-2009) and their fiftieth wedding anniversary. The galleries were expressly designed for significant books and documents to be displayed in an environmentally sound and secure exhibition space. Controlled lighting and large vitrines of optical glass, flame mahogany, and Cambrian granite provide a rich and appropriate setting for the three interpretive exhibitions mounted each year by the Bridwell staff. Themes have been diverse, ranging from ecclesiastic to historic to bibliophilic. Subjects of past exhibitions have included Bibles, liturgical works, devotional literature, church history and theology, Wesleyana and Methodistica, early printing, and the book arts. Recent exhibitions, reflecting Bridwell Library’s strengths and active collecting interests, feature many recent acquisitions.
The Elizabeth Perkins Prothro Galleries are located inside Bridwell Library. Exhibitions are free and open during Bridwell public hours.