Please click here to download the New Student Checklist. This is a checklist of items that you must complete before you start classes this fall.
STEP 1: BECOME A MUSTANG!
STEP 2: SECURE HOUSING
- Approximately two weeks after we receive your deposit, we will e-mail you instructions on securing housing and information about your dining options.
STEP 3: VISIT
- We want to show you what your life as an SMU student will be like! If you have not yet had the opportunity to visit campus, there are many options available this spring. Choose the option that is best for you. We can’t wait to welcome you to campus.
STEP 4: APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which will determine eligibility for federal and state financial aid (found at www.fafsa.ed.gov) and the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE®, to be considered for university need-based aid (found at http://student.collegeboard.org/css-financial-aid-profile) There is a $25 cost for completing the CSS/PROFILE®. The FAFSA and CSS/PROFILE® should be submitted by February 15 for priority consideration.
- Fill out the Application for Financial Aid Scholarships to explore further scholarship opportunities for which you may be eligible. SMU's financial aid advisors can help you and your family determine the best way to finance your future. Click here to meet your financial aid advisor.
STEP 5: HEALTH HISTORY
- Prior to registering for classes in July, all SMU students must complete and submit the Report of Medical History and Consent of Medical Treatment form. Please click here for details and instructions on what is required. Please note Texas state law requires all students must have received the meningitis immunization within the preceding 5 years, or a booster shot is required.
STEP 6: PARENT INFORMATION
STEP 7: AARO AND MUSTANG CORRAL
- Academic Advising and Registration Orientation (AARO) is SMU’s official orientation for new students. AARO is where you will meet your academic adviser, plan your academic schedule and register for classes. AARO sessions take place during the month of July.
- Mustang Corral is an off-campus retreat that takes place a few days before classes start in the August. It’s the perfect opportunity to meet your new classmates as well as current SMU students, staff, and faculty. You will also begin learning some of the most treasured SMU traditions!
- We will send you detailed information and instructions about how to register for AARO sessions and Mustang Corral in the coming weeks. Registration will open April 1, 2015
Mark these important dates and deadlines on your calendar. Then get ready to make your mark as an SMU Mustang.
|Residence Hall Move-In Day & Family Cookout (Mustang Corral attendees only)
||Residence Hall Move-In Day (all others)
||Rotunda Passage & Opening Convocation
||Labor Day Holiday