Southern Methodist University is committed to the continued advancement of its programs that will enable it to become one of the leading educational institutions in the United States. Building on its current strengths and responding to the evolving needs of its constituencies within the Metroplex and beyond, SMU will strive to maintain its distinctive character while moving forward aggressively in key areas that will enhance the quality of its programs, and the subsequent recognition of that excellence. As shown by the success of the Campaign for SMU: A Time to Lead,the University’s constituent groups are strongly committed to providing the financial, personal, and societal support needed for SMU to achieve its goals.
SMU has at its core the liberal arts and sciences surrounded by a constellation of professional schools. As a result, the quality of the University as a whole and its individual schools is influenced by the real and perceived quality of this academic core. Therefore, the focus of the Centennial Strategic Plan is enhancement of the quality of the University’s faculty and students, and its academic programs, particularly those within Dedman College. To support the five goals of the Centennial Strategic Plan,the SMU community must:
- Enhance all major components of academic quality so that SMU’s stature in the higher education community will be strengthened.
- Build upon the tradition of inspired teaching, as it promotes engaged learning.
- Strengthen capabilities to conduct research and to enhance creative achievement.
- Enhance the quality of life for students and the development of their social, moral, citizenship, and leadership capabilities.
- Broaden global perspectives within the University’s academic and student life programs.
The University seeks to achieve its goals within a challenging, diverse environment characterized by increased competition for outstanding faculty, staff, and students. Progress toward SMU’s goals will require the judicious use of existing human and financial resources through faculty and staff development programs, more efficient administrative procedures, improved student retention, and careful review of financial models. Full achievement of these goals, however, will be possible only with the continued commitment and support of the University’s alumni and friends. Working together, we can achieve our goal of national and international distinction building upon SMU’s heritage.